a_bertrand has been cloned!

Keep it clean but fun.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

a_bertrand has been cloned!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/ ... ntication/

Thought this was funny when I cam across it. His name is Aaron Betrand and uses a_Betrand...Very weird.
a_bertrand

Re: a_betrand has been cloned!

Post by a_bertrand »

funny indeed! And no it's not me ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Re: a_betrand has been cloned!

Post by Jackolantern »

I'm glad we have the one that is making the more fun stuff. I mean, I have full respect for people writing SQL documentation....but I would much rather have a game engine.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Re: a_bertrand has been cloned!

Post by a_bertrand »

I'm doing boring stuff at work so leave me some fun for the hobby projects ;) Even if some times it require loads of not so fun stuff even for an hobby thing.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah its funny you say that. We see so many people wanting to make a game and they do not realize how much boring work is involved. The idea and design of the game is such a little percent compared to all the backend hard work.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Definitely. I think that is what drives away so many new devs. They think they know how much work even a simple, single-player Pacman clone would take, but if they haven't done it they don't know.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Completely true. You can start relatively easily with "experiments" and have moving sprites or 3D scenes working within day(s). But before you get a full featured product (whatever it is), it takes a lot of efforts. For example in my case, every single panel has it's documentation page. Is that fun to do? Nope. Or simply the "debugging" is painful. I mean, yea sure it will work in most cases but here when you walk exactly on that edge, bang, your engine breaks. Finding all those small things and fixing them is a huge amount of work. Even AAA companies fail to polish their software and often release products which don't work all that well. Remember the latest Batman and it's recalls?

Of course when people see other people work they easily say: why didn't you add this and that feature? Or why is your game so and not so? Well, I personally think that whoever, specially small or single person teams, delivering a product is always an incredible thing.

Remains the untold. You could have the best product out there, there is a last piece nobody ever really think about: marketing. A product without marketing will not sell, no matter how good it is. Forget about the snowball effect where a first customer will tell to his/her friend and so on. That doesn't really work. You will have to invest load and load of time / money to start getting people know about your project.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Well said and agreed.

Return to “Off-Topic”