Is it bad to make succesfull game clones?

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

Is it bad to make succesfull game clones?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys :D

So a friend of mine came to me asking what game should he buy, since he was bored. I didn't know either, and he was on to find something to play. He came across "Golf with friends" and asked me to buy it too, so we could play together.
I checked the steam page of the game, and looked at the price: 5.99€ (roughly 7$?), and this feeling came to my mind: The game is not expensive as a game and what it can offer, but I think that the amount of work on the concept is not worth 5.99€, so I thought to myself.. Maybe I'll just create my own golf game to play with friends and sell it for .99$ on steam.

Is this a bad thought? Should I? In this case is Golf with friends, but I think the question/dilemma can apply to other (indie) games too.

PS: I went 10-20 minutes on Unity and manage to create some of the basic controls right of the bat using standard assets from unity, so how hard can it be right? From my POV the issue is just the maps really. :roll:
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Is it bad to make succesfull game clones?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Competition and choices are always good to have. There are a lot of alternatives that I like better than the original. Besides who cares what anyone thinks. Do what you want.
vitinho444

Re: Is it bad to make succesfull game clones?

Post by vitinho444 »

Yesterday I had 1 hour to kill. So I opened Unity.. needless to say I did the core of the game in that hour :lol: I think I'll continue on it and put it on Greenlight as "AffordableGolf" and put it at .99$ or something. :roll:

Is a very simple concept really.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “Off-Topic”