[US Members Only Please] Permanently moving to the USA

Keep it clean but fun.
Chromeozone

[US Members Only Please] Permanently moving to the USA

Post by Chromeozone »

Hi IR,

I have asked that people who currently reside in the United States of America so I can see all of the relevant and useful information regarding this subject.

I want to give an overview of myself and see where my options are.

--------------------------------
My name is Steven, I'm 20 years old and I currently study Games Programming at Bournemouth University here in the United Kingdom. Around 3-4 years ago, I took a holiday to New York, California and Dallas, Texas to meet some of my online friends which was a great experience. When I was in America, I felt at home, everything felt real that I actually belonged there. When it was time to go home I was really upset because I did not want to leave. The quality of life you guys can have out there is amazing compared to the United Kingdom. Not only that but the activities you have there (Theme parks, water parks, disney world aka "Entertainment) is just not comparable to the United Kingdom. Your jobs pay more and your lifestyle costs are low (Not including healthcare) and I seriously mean that, look at the properties you can get in the USA for 250k then look at the United Kingdom for houses worth 250k - massive difference!

I graduate in 2018, yup next year I will officially have Bsc after my name but the job prospects in the UK is horrendous, there are no game studios here. Microsoft and all of the big companies are closing down because of the EU Referendum (Not soley, but massive impact in business) and are relocating to Australia or America.

I have been feeling like this for some time, and I have done a lot of research but the US Greencard lottery has not accepted the United Kingdom for the past 10 years ( My family have paid £150 each to get a greencard) and they wont accept UK citizens.

Apart from marrying someone or being sponsored by an American Company, is there anyway that I can finally live the American Dream?
---------------------------------------

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: [US Members Only Please] Permanently moving to the USA

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hmm that is a tough one. I don't have any experience in that realm.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Those people know nothing of the American Dream. Fat whiners is all. Every time I leave the US I am dying to get home. The UK is great don't get me wrong but I love it here.
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

I have been talking with SpiritWebb all morning/afternoon about it - he said they were a bit harsh too!
Dominion

Post by Dominion »

People like RockStar north are here. I know because I've had dealings with them(well I know someone who works there). They are hardly the only ones. We do have game companies.

That aside the Eu referendum hasn't actually happened yet. We may stay, we may not, but no company has closed jobs because of the risk. Some are holding off on new expansions (maybe) but you're painting a picture that hasn't happened. I might be a little spoiled on where I live but we have plenty of holiday parks and the EU allows us to go to places like paris for three days for practically nothing.

If you're thinking about moving to America fair enough. It's actually a beautiful country but the claims you're making don't match the UK I live in. You're either buying into the scare monger junk the remain side have put out, don't have any industry contacts so are not sure where to look, or looking for an excuse to move when you don't need one. I want to live in the USA is perfectly valid. They have always treated me well when I go there.
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

I have sent you a PM.

You can live the American Dream, but it is built on working long hours, living a fugal lifestyle, saving as much money as possible and contributing a good percentage of that money to the US government.

Return to “Off-Topic”