Heya Folks!

Keep it clean but fun.
Sharlenwar

Heya Folks!

Post by Sharlenwar »

Hey everyone! Not sure who all still hangs out here from when I was able to do anything game development related. But just poking my head in here to see how everything is. Good to see you are still around Halls. Anyways, I'm sorta back, and I can't wait to see what I'm going to come up with this time. On Steam I've noticed that the Leadwerks engine is severely discounted this week, 80% off, and so I decided to go for it. For 20 bucks, what could go wrong for something to make games with, right? I was looking at buying another silly video game, when this showed up, and I was like.... $30 game... $20 game engine? So, this time I'm taking a completely different approach. I've got a tiny YouTube channel where I goof off and play games, commentate, the usual crap. Nothing interesting, when it dawned on me that why not make a silly video series of my journey making a game?

So here I am, I haven't started of course, but I've got the game engine that I've chosen to use. YouTube channel for poops and giggles. Just figured I'd test the water here, as I'll most likely be asking for help and what not when it comes down to that. It all comes down to how much time can I put into this stuff, and will my wonderful 23 mo old son let me work on stuff. I might even use it as a way to teach the kid something in regards to math, logic, programming, etc. Heck, maybe make a game or two and have a blast doing it. That is the focus as well, is fun. Just to make a game that's fun, works smoothly, and has gameplay. They aren't going to be the prettiest games, but they will fun.

It's great to see this place being around, I have to catch up on the posts I've missed, but yeah! Expect to see me around a bit more often!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
vitinho444

Re: Heya Folks!

Post by vitinho444 »

I'm also doing something like that actually :D (I want 50% of your profit, since I've patented the idea :twisted: )
Jk.

Theoretically it should all go right, since making the videos almost makes it mandatory to "deliver", so it probably will help fighting procrastination (I hope).
Have fun, and I hope you finish it ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Can you give us an update on the engine after you have used it some, particularly before the deal runs out ;)
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I am in agreement with Halls. Keep us updated, and nice to somewhat see you back!! ;)

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Not sure what I can really say. I'd say go for it, as it is 80% off. I'm running through the tutorials so far, and they have gotten me familiar with the interface and has been running me through the interface of the tools. From what I have done, going through the panels.

I know that you can create a landmass, and you can make it quite huge if you wanted to. Not sure about the scaling, if it feels like a box, or something larger. I'll try and run through em fast, but reality is, this weekend is the weekend to buy it. I imagine that a sale like this would happen again, as on Steam sales happen roughly 4 times a year for the big ones, and throughout for smaller ones.

For me it cost $21.99, so for a game making engine that so far seems complete. There is also the capability to upload to the Steam Workshop. Not sure what that means, if you could monetize your games through that? There is also a Leadwerks Workshop that will behave similarly to the Steam Workshop. Someone has used RakNet to create a client -> server type of interaction. If you are a competent programmer in C++, you are able to take the engine further.

But, I'll keep you all updated on progress!

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

SpiritWebb wrote:I am in agreement with Halls. Keep us updated, and nice to somewhat see you back!! ;)
What? Only somewhat?! :P

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yeah the biggest downfall is no networking but you could get a huge following from linux users with the linux export option
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Networking you can always add in, so that isn't really a big deal for me. I'm more just doing this as a way to mess around with some game concepts I have. I see pieces of them in other games, but they are never married together. So, makes me wonder and here I am.

I figure along the way I'll meet someone smart enough to help me with the networking stuff. Just want a game I can play that is enjoyable, works, and is a lot of fun.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Sharlenwar wrote:
SpiritWebb wrote:I am in agreement with Halls. Keep us updated, and nice to somewhat see you back!! ;)
What? Only somewhat?! :P
Sharlenwar wrote:Anyways, I'm sorta back
That's what I was meaning, lol. ;)

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

So, I've completed the first set of tutorials that are available on the Leadwerks site. I have to say, this whole package seems to be really amazing so far. The tool works beautifully on my laptop here. I have a gaming laptop, so it seems to run everything very well. Even in the terrain editor everything was moving smoothly. There is a vegetation system which works wonderfully. One can even publish their games to the Steam Workshop and then if people get the Leadwerks launcher (which is free), then virtually anyone who has that can play your game. The system is very nice to publish your game and what not. Even to create files for your own digital distribution if you so choose.

So far I'm impressed, and so far I'm getting my monies worth, or at least that is how I feel.

Next step is to learn about the other fun bits like AI, interacting with objects, and then into the scripting to see how one can actually make a game! The scripting is Lua. So not sure what that means, but I guess I'll find out.

I've started a thread in the Project Showoff area, so that way I can get my ideas down, flesh something out and build it. For those interested, go here.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures

Return to “Off-Topic”