Interesting Decision

Keep it clean but fun.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Interesting Decision

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

To give some back story, about 10 years ago I was a part of a team that was working on a 3d MMO called Apocalypse Online. At the time it was the talk of the town and if not for the engine would have been a success. I left there to create my own game the 3d version of Forsaken Sanctum and a few of the members left with me. For about 2 years I and this ever changing team got FS into a alpha state. We were up and going and had about 2500 people sign up. Not much by MMO standards but quite a feat for myself. Was a fun time and really felt like I was doing something in a special corner of the game industry. We entered contests, were interviewed, had stacks of kids trying to be part of the team. Helping all those up and coming developers learn the ropes was what led me to my videos and ultimately these forums.
One of the developers who came with me from Apoc Online contacted me after years of no contact and it seems he is working for a AAA studio and has done quite good for himself. He was surprised I was not still working on 3d games or MMOs for that matter. That I am the guy they talk about around the water cooler about the old times. I get emails all the time from people thanking me for the videos and I see all these successful games being made from source or videos of mine. It sucks...

Truth is I am feeling more and more like a relic. Like a old Obi Wan Kanobi, just some old has been waiting around to die at the right time to help someone else. I think my spirit has been broken so bad I even gave up on these forums. For years I have been hiding behind them, using teaching as an excuse to not develop, to not fail. I can't die in this cave. I need to do something spectacular. Something to revive me.
Zykal

Re: Interesting Decision

Post by Zykal »

Wow halls, I'm sorry to hear this. I know I'm not a very active member, I mostly lurk and read, but you have helped me and others as you have said. I am grateful for all the time and resources you've given to the community. I do know first hand that sometimes helping and watching others succeed doesn't feel like success to yourself or spectacular; however to everyone you've helped, you have done something spectacular.

I just wanted you to know while you may think you've done little, we think you've done spectacular things.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and happy new year!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks, that really means a lot. More than you know.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

To say you've done nothing spectacular is not really true. You've done tons of tutorials that have helped everyone on this board. I am sure that I speak for most of the people on this board when I say "Thank you!!" for everything you have done for our small, but passionate, community over the years.

We do appreciate it :)
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You sir have been an inspiration for not only myself but for my entire team. You may not have done what you wanted in aspects of the 3d MMO, but have done a lot more than some people when it comes to games. You have given to the community so much. Created these forums for people like us to come together in a friendly environment and not mocked when someone posts their work, no matter how small that may be. You have created TONS of tutorials that teach people what they need to know to move in their own direction, wherever that may be.

You sir should be thanked. I shall stand and honor with a round of applause, and will continue to do so!

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks everyone! You have inspired me and made my day.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

After months of inactivity, I come back, and I find that halls, a hero that taught me PHP and how to make web browser games and so many other things, is having this kind of mind trouble.
Well like everyone said, you did something spectacular, you created these forums, you created a community, you taught thousands of newbies (including me), you inspired people to do games and not just play them... you did all that. There are ups and downs and I could give a motivational speech, but you don't need that, you're a great teacher and a great developer.

But, if you need something to revive you, try focusing on one thing only, and try to complete it the best you can, doesn't matter what comes out, what matters is that you made it and you wanted to make it.
Best of Luck, you deserve everything and more!

PS: Not sure if the message passed, but THANK YOU for everything. Really, EVERYTHING.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Oroton

Post by Oroton »

I don't say much, but I come here every other day read every post i've missed.
It's probably hard to see how long i've been here as my account was accidentally(?) deleted along with all my posts. But this community
is the reason i still stay up all night working on different things.
And a lot of the things i've worked on have been due to the tutorials you made and the effort you have made.

Love you heaps halls. Don't give up on your dreams.
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Well, I'm a bit late. Halls, I remember those times. Back on the RealmCrafter forums, and then within the Torque stuff. I'm a relic as well Halls. Originally I swam in the whole Ultima Online community with the private servers. Did that for years, developed servers and at the height had around 300-400 concurrent users all on a server of my creation. It had a custom experience that was different from the typical Ultima Online thread.

Then somehow through the The Game Creators and what not you reached out to me one day and brought me back. For me life has taken me away from game development, it was a hobby before, I tried to take it further. But as always, life takes you into some crazy ways. You are one of those people in my life who have kept that game development spark inside of me. Today, typing this, I'm reading up tutorials on Leadwerks and I came back here because I knew I can share that I'm working on something new. Whether I fail at the project, or make something that others will play, that doesn't matter. It is the people that are around to help you through that journey that matters.

You have even inspired me to teach this stuff to my 23mo old now. To bring him up playing with the building blocks of games like Lego blocks. Thus why do you think I'm picking up a game engine, blowing off the dust on some very old assets. I came back here because I knew that it would be around and the wealth of information that is here would be useful to me in some manner.

I'm one of those guys that look at all this as a hobby. As much as I would like to be able to spend more time on this stuff, and to actually make money from it, that reality won't happen without up front cash. Today I see so many early access games that shouldn't really be there, yet they are.

Anyways Halls, I'm glad to be able to be around here and drop in when I can. For myself life takes me into some crazy places, and for whatever reason, when I work on something, roadblocks appear to derail me. Heck, here I am again, looking at working on a relatively simple project. Thinking of including my daughter in the process, as she wants to go the graphic design route.

I consider you a close friend Halls, if that makes sense to you.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thanks appreciate all the feedback. Yeah I have never really made anything off development. Spent way more money than have ever made. I have been back and forth on teaching, doing, to learning and I guess I need to realize that its the adventure that makes it worth it not the trophy at the end.
I am torn between building a PBBG engine or building a PBBG at this point.

Return to “Off-Topic”