Still here, I promise!

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Still here, I promise!

Post by Jackolantern »

Whew...I started my new job about 5 weeks ago now, and it has been moving fast. It is with a software development consulting company (one of the biggest in the world), and every day I am being challenged to learn new tech (been working on a lot of deep front-side stuff, working with Aurelia [which is freaking awesome], BabelJS, Webpack, Bluebird, etc.) all while working towards Microsoft Certifications (working on MCSD: Web Developer at the moment). I am starting on my first full project next week, which is a major re-write of a county-owned website to make it responsive and mobile-first. I am also commuting over an hour and a half each way to the office, so I am simply wiped-out at the end of the day. I am going to try to be on here more. I still have tons of ideas, and am hoping to leverage some of what I am learning on the job to create some games or gamified sites.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Re: Still here, I promise!

Post by vitinho444 »

Congrats man ;)
(been working on a lot of deep front-side stuff, working with Aurelia [which is freaking awesome], BabelJS, Webpack, Bluebird, etc.) all while working towards Microsoft Certifications (working on MCSD: Web Developer at the moment).
I know some of those words :P May I ask if you knew all that before getting IN the company? It's probably one of my deepest fears, that they ask me to do something I never took a look at, like those you mention.

All the luck with your job, make some cash!
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

srachit

Post by srachit »

vitinho444 there is always a high chance that in the tech industry you'd have to work with tech you've never seen before, mostly because of how fast our industry develops and changes, but that is not something to be afraid of, if you are even a moderately good programmer (and from what I have seen of you, you just might be) it wont be too much of a hassle to learn new technology. Just an advice, be upfront about your knowledge and understanding about the tech you are being asked to work with, lying and saying you know more than you actually do, will just increase the pressure on you and in the long run mostly burn you out, if your employer is a good tech employer, he'll understand that you cant possibly know every single technology, and you will sometimes have to take time to learn the technology. I've gotten jobs, where I've gone in and heard what they want me to do and outright told them that I do not currently have the skills to do it, but I've enough experience to know how to learn the skills I need and complete the job. I've also noticed that you learn faster on the job than in your free time.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Congrats man!!

srachit

Post by srachit »

My bad sorry for going off topic with the earlier post :P

But congratulations jack! You seem to be having quite a busy and exciting time in your career :)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Thanks srachit ;) It's all in my head :lol:

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

srachit wrote:vitinho444 there is always a high chance that in the tech industry you'd have to work with tech you've never seen before, mostly because of how fast our industry develops and changes, but that is not something to be afraid of, if you are even a moderately good programmer (and from what I have seen of you, you just might be) it wont be too much of a hassle to learn new technology. Just an advice, be upfront about your knowledge and understanding about the tech you are being asked to work with, lying and saying you know more than you actually do, will just increase the pressure on you and in the long run mostly burn you out, if your employer is a good tech employer, he'll understand that you cant possibly know every single technology, and you will sometimes have to take time to learn the technology. I've gotten jobs, where I've gone in and heard what they want me to do and outright told them that I do not currently have the skills to do it, but I've enough experience to know how to learn the skills I need and complete the job. I've also noticed that you learn faster on the job than in your free time.
Thank you everyone!

And no, I didn't really know any of those when I started. My lead architect is really cool and knowledgeable, and he knows that I am learning this stuff on the fly. The company pays for a premium subscription to Pluralsight and has tons of tech ebooks for free on their website. In between projects you get to come into the office and study on your laptop all day, doing tutorials, watching Pluralsight and generally learning new things, all while being paid full pay. They also understand that when you start a new project that there will be a "ramp up" time to get comfortable with the technology if you have never used it before. They will also pay for learning materials if they aren't too expensive and can result in you getting a new certification. They are big on certifications there because they can sell you harder to clients, but it is a benefit to your career, so no complaints there :)

So definitely not anything to be afraid of! Like was already said, just don't lie about what you know.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention something cool! Each consultant has what is known as a "practice", which is generally the type of work you specialize in. I am in the practice that deals with front-end web development and public-facing websites, but it also works with "visualization technologies". This includes pretty run of the mill stuff like making charts, but also includes game development, such as when a client wants a branded HTML5 game, and Unity/Oculus Rift development and augmented reality as well. The latter project types are still pretty rare compared to regular web development, but they may come my way :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Congrats, Jack! Hope you can aim toward a better commute in future!
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Wow, really cool!! I would never lie about what I know and don't know, but still gets me nervous to let down people :roll:
I'm definitely relieved ^^

I hope you the best, and dynamic projects, not those boring ones!!
Good luck ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”