The end of Internet Explorer

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

The end of Internet Explorer

Post by Jackolantern »

There have been hints for a while, but it has been made official today: Internet Explorer will not be the official browser in Windows 10 (they had previously announced a new browser for W10, but had not specified how IE would be affected). The as-yet unnamed browser to replace it is going by the name of "Project Spartan". The article says that IE will continue to exist in some form, but mostly for enterprise compatibility.

The article also believes that this is a reaction to IE's shrinking market share and its perceptions as a poor browser that filtered down from web developers to the general population (expedited by the release of superior browsers: first Firefox, and then Chrome). So it seems they are starting over to finally throw away the bloated and non-standard legacy of IE. IE's final editions did show that Microsoft was interested in complete standards compliance, but I think lugging around the weight of its past versions where it went its own direction was too heavy to carry on.

I can't say I will miss it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: The end of Internet Explorer

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh the greatest news in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha! Definitely :D
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I think Spartan will only have "use" for those who don't already use Chrome or Firefox. I can't stop using Chrome, since all my things are in Google Services like passwords, bookmarks etc.

But I will definitely try out Spartan just for the sake of trying a new thing :D
I have currently 4 browsers in my PC.
IE it's for my dad, old school, barely knows how to turn on a PC.
Chrome, I use daily.
Firefox, for anonymous browsing ;)
Opera, for serious stuff like paypal and stuff in a "virgin" Opera installation so that there are no smart addons and stuff :D

Let's see whats coming .
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

The real win will be for those of us that have spent years fighting with making our stuff compatible with IE. The only reason why IE has a market is because it is default. If it had to be installed like chrome then it would have never left the ground.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

True, but since I'm using bootstrap and other pseudo-responsive designs I've been at peace with IE without having to change my code. Well.. not IE 8- ofc.. but still IE didn't mess up my most recent websites.

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

vitinho444 wrote:True, but since I'm using bootstrap and other pseudo-responsive designs I've been at peace with IE without having to change my code. Well.. not IE 8- ofc.. but still IE didn't mess up my most recent websites.
There is no reason to have messed up websites anyways. If you are following the correct standards, then you should be good to go.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

ha! You forget we are talking about IE!! They follow no standards and often spit in the face of web standards.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Not quite Sharlen... IE sometimes just doesn't care about your CSS configs and will mess everything up. But yeah, if you are careful and maintain a good and clean code, I think you are good to go with IE 8+.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The real horror was IE 6 and 7, but luckily most of us in North America and Western Europe don't have to worry about that anymore.

Return to “Off-Topic”