[Kickstarter] Castle Beneath the Forest (a Module)

Keep it clean but fun.
Callan S.

[Kickstarter] Castle Beneath the Forest (a Module)

Post by Callan S. »

Heya all,

I thought I'd have a crack at writing up a kick starter project, to see if I can get some funds for writing a semi generic module (compatable with a certain fifth edition of a game that has tunnels and fire breathing dragons!). I've got over two decades of GMing experience and I thought it'd be neat to put some of that in a module for peoples other than my players!

Thought I'd drop a link here for people to check it out! :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... the-forest
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: [Kickstarter] Castle Beneath the Forest (a Module)

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

very cool. Good luck with it. I have moved strictly to Palladium books now however but glad to see something like this up.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Well, it's adaptable to that system.

Can't write a Palladium one anyway - not without their permission. So the only way to write a module that could be used with Palladium is to write something that can be adapted to it.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Actually Palladium is one of the most open systems to create on that I have found as far as them letting you do stuff. They have only sent one cease and desist letter that I know of and that was because a guy made a character creator with all the rules from many books in it. Kevin is pretty open and willing as long as people let him know.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly, most pen'n'paper RPG companies seem fairly open to allowing commercial modules provided nothing could be seen as offensive (such as an overtly erotic module lol) or damaging to the property. While it would obviously be wise to get permission for anything you play to sell, from what I have read, most companies seem to consider it fair-use at worst and promotion for their merchandise at best.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I'm really pretty sure you'd find they'd say no, they aren't going to let you make money off their IP without them okaying the eventual product and getting a cut (essentially they'd be in control, so it'd be more like you getting a cut of their profit). That really goes for all RPG publishers. There's a reason mutants and masterminds had to say 'based on one of the most popular RPG's in the world!' rather than 'based on D&D!'. Because they couldn't even mention their name.

Got to $25 of the $50 goal, so far.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmmm...maybe it is just that the IP holders never decided to go after them, because there are tons of unlicensed modules out there for every system. It probably isn't that the module creators phoned the IP holders and they OK'd it, but rather that they just made them and the companies never went after them then lol. Obviously not a route that I would suggest to anyone, of course.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Jackolantern wrote:Hmmm...maybe it is just that the IP holders never decided to go after them, because there are tons of unlicensed modules out there for every system. It probably isn't that the module creators phoned the IP holders and they OK'd it, but rather that they just made them and the companies never went after them then lol. Obviously not a route that I would suggest to anyone, of course.
Most I've seen are free modules. At that point the companies tend not to do much about it.

But I've never seen unofficial ones selling, myself. If they do, I think it's by being under the radar.

I remember a games shop I used to go to sold system agnostic modules.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have no idea if it is still going on today, but a used bookstore near where I used to live always had piles of unofficial modules. They may have been from some time ago, though.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

The project is now at $45 of it's $50 goal! Six days to go.

Return to “Off-Topic”