Top 7 Best Game Ideas

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

Top 7 Best Game Ideas

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, I found this site a while ago and it really pumped me into doing on of these. But it's not that easy of course.
Today, as I'm on vacations from college, I decided to continue my Online Survival FPS and I got a feeling... I don't know if you can relate, but I got a strange feeling that in like a second I lost all hope in that game... :cry:
So... I decide to calm down and breath and just leave it there for another day, but then it came to me: Now what?
The 3 official games I made, i made within 2 years, one of them I made in 1 month and was a bigger hit than I expected.. and now I can't just make anything else... :(

So I'll just leave the site here: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-best- ... -get-made/

And hopefully you can share your thoughts on gaining the "balls" to do something and find a good game idea to stick till the end.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

PS: I also thought on starting one of those in the site, the Pokemon MMORPG one, but I read an article on "why you shouldn't make a MMORPG" and it's a no brainer, it's too time consuming for a small team.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Top 7 Best Game Ideas

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hate all of them. Would not play any of them.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah that's because they are great ideas for specific groups... :/

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think an "MMORPG" is possible provided you keep the right scale. Obviously PBBGs are possible, as there are tons of them out there made by one or two people. Even fully animated 2D MMOs are possible provided you keep the scale in check and make design decisions that limit the assets required.

3D MMORPGs are another beast. For one, players today are typically less tolerant of below-average 3D graphics unless they are hyper stylized like Minecraft. However, the 2D retro look is quite popular today and doesn't seem to hold games back. But just try a "retro 3D" game using graphics similar to those seen on the PS1, and your game will be torn to shreds for it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well yes thats another problem, scale.
When I think of an MMO I think one hours and hours of gameplay, I think of hundreds of items, and that's where the possible gets away. Combining that to my way of working "on the run"... it will turn out to fail.
I really need to plan things :/

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Jackolantern wrote:I think an "MMORPG" is possible provided you keep the right scale. Obviously PBBGs are possible, as there are tons of them out there made by one or two people. Even fully animated 2D MMOs are possible provided you keep the scale in check and make design decisions that limit the assets required.

3D MMORPGs are another beast. For one, players today are typically less tolerant of below-average 3D graphics unless they are hyper stylized like Minecraft. However, the 2D retro look is quite popular today and doesn't seem to hold games back. But just try a "retro 3D" game using graphics similar to those seen on the PS1, and your game will be torn to shreds for it.
Some kinda weird version of the uncanny valley there.

If it almost looks like todays graphics, it's ripped to shreds.

If it avoids looking like todays graphics entirely, it's accepted.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha! Exactly!
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

Callan S. wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:I think an "MMORPG" is possible provided you keep the right scale. Obviously PBBGs are possible, as there are tons of them out there made by one or two people. Even fully animated 2D MMOs are possible provided you keep the scale in check and make design decisions that limit the assets required.

Some kinda weird version of the uncanny valley there.

If it almost looks like todays graphics, it's ripped to shreds.

If it avoids looking like todays graphics entirely, it's accepted.
Pretty much. I *do* think that an art style with solid colors, Solel (full screen outline) and hatch shaders could be accepted on "artistic merit" and be low effort to implement.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

There are definitely some lower-effort 3D styles that can work, and a few games even beyond Minecraft have shown that. I think we will probably see more exploration of this since the commercial, current-gen 3D graphic style is quickly slipping out of the grasp of low-budget teams.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Want ideas? Ask! Find emails, Facebook groups, etc and ask! Why build something (unless you just really want to for yourself) that noone will play? Ask these people what kind of game they'd be interested in, a game they wanf made, any ideas for a game. Then take them, refine them and make them!

Return to “Off-Topic”