Python vs PHP Comparison video

Keep it clean but fun.
Miroidan

Python vs PHP Comparison video

Post by Miroidan »

I found a video where he shows you the differences between Python and PHP using different functions, methods etc that work the same in both languages.

YouTube - Python vs PHP Comparison
Sharlenwar

Re: Python vs PHP Comparison video

Post by Sharlenwar »

I'll watch this at home, but isn't it like comparing apples with oranges?
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Miroidan

Post by Miroidan »

Sharlenwar wrote:I'll watch this at home, but isn't it like comparing apples with oranges?
I believe its made for the people that have difficulties of what language to choose
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

As always: it all depends what YOU need and what YOU know. Comparing simply languages like that is wrong. First you should write down your requirements, and then you can check out if something fit or not your requirements.

For example:

Need to be a web application
Need to be installed on linux
Should not cost me a dim
I never programmed, so it should be easy to learn
I want to start small and then slowly add stuff
etc...

If you don't set such list how could you choose which language / framework / tech works best for you? I really fail to understand those which just watch some video and say "that's what I need".
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

agreed. It is about the project in hand. Stop thinking like "what language can make my project" and start thinking like "I dont care what language I use I can build my project with anything"
Miroidan

Post by Miroidan »

Wow, you guys make it sound like it's my fault that I linked this video here. Tell that to the YouTube user, not me, if you thought that I were the user who made this video, you are wrong.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I just wanted to point out to anyone who hasn't watched it, that this is not the typical "which language to choose" type "vs video" like so many language A vs. language B videos are.

Rather, this is a pretty interesting video showing a Python IDE on one side and a PHP IDE on the other, and he goes through the basic constructs in both languages. It could be quite helpful if you know PHP and want to see the basics of Python, or even vice versa. He doesn't really make many statements about which you should choose or why. He is just showing the actual differences between the languages, which I think is helpful.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Wasn't against you Miroidan, it was just that I'm a bit annoyed by all those pseudo comparisons. If it's to show how you can do something in another language like Jacko pointed out this video is, then it can be helpful if you know one language and you quickly want to see how it look like in another. However many us such comparison videos are completely useless as it could be all good and right saying perl or tcl are now old and this or that language can do the same stuff better, yet in some cases even old languages are required. As I said, if you look for a language first set down your requirements. On the other side if you want to see how to do something while you know how to do it in another language it's another thing.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, this video is the latter (showing you how to do the same things in 2 languages). I think maybe we have gotten too used to these "vs" videos being someone trying to push their views on you about what languages you should or should not use. But this isn't one of them from what I saw :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Off-Topic”