Modern web problem not being discussed?

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Modern web problem not being discussed?

Post by Jackolantern »

This is something that has been irritating me more and more the last couple of years. Of course web developers have so many things to consider when building websites today, but one thing they don't seem to consider is what I have termed in my head "pop around". For example, you go to a website, and as it is loading, you see what you want to click, and as you are going through the motions to click it, a banner (either an ad or a part of the website) pops up and suddenly what you wanted to click jumps down an inch or so. If you are lucky, it didn't happen as you were clicking, forcing you to click something else and go to the wrong link. But if you were patient, that may not be the end of it. Sometimes a loading banner will force the site content down, but then immediately roll back up since it has an event to go to this as its default state. But there is still a small ribbon to represent the banner content, so everything jumps back up, but still not all the way back up! So you have now had two chances to click on the wrong thing. Some sites are even worse, and will do this over and over again to the point where trying to click your link is almost a game of cat and mouse as the page "pops around" while loading. Some sites I just have to sit and wait for it to make its initial load and then call a few extra parts through AJAX from the server. And this is on fiber optic Internet, so I know it isn't just a matter of my connection being slow :P

This really irritates me and it seems no one ever mentions it. Has anyone else ever been struck by how annoying this is? Am I the only one? :|

EDIT: As a fairly mild example, go to Dice.com. Even with Adblock in place, the whole website loads and everything is still just long enough for you to think you can start clicking and searching for tech jobs, only to have a banner for their mobile app pop up at the top and force the whole content down.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Modern web problem not being discussed?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

YEP! I hate it! On my phone it is even worse. Drives me friggin nuts.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

They'd know the ad size, wouldn't they?

I thought it was best practice, with images, for example, to set the size of image even if you're not scaling it, simply so the page knows what size gap to leave.

Why hasn't that practice translated over to adverts?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Amen!
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Callan S. wrote:They'd know the ad size, wouldn't they?

I thought it was best practice, with images, for example, to set the size of image even if you're not scaling it, simply so the page knows what size gap to leave.

Why hasn't that practice translated over to adverts?
The crazy thing is, it isn't always advertisements. Sometimes it is core parts of the page!
sniko

Post by sniko »

A great example of this is on Forbes when reading an article, as well as YouTube, when finding a video, after 0.5/1 seconds on pageload, sponsored videos take the first and second place on the list - 7/10 times I click on the sponsored video instead of my intended one.

Code: Select all

class Life extends Bitch {
  //...
}
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yep! That one does it, too. It really is all over the place :|
Sim

Post by Sim »

News sites are the worst!!!!!!! I been thinking about emailing all these damn sites with a very bad email
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Ever considered that maybe all that is done on purpose? Such that people actually click on banners which otherwise they wouldn't?
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

Another modern problem I came across is the diplay, position, and max/min width information that is really a necessity when working with php or html. I've never seen a tutorial about it whatsoever.
Nothing fancy, but a work in progress!

http://gameplaytoday.net

Return to “Off-Topic”