First HTML5 I ever saw

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

First HTML5 I ever saw

Post by Jackolantern »

I just had a random thought to go and try to find the first HTML5 "app" I ever saw. I came across The Wilderness Downtown before moving to Houston, so it would have been around 2007 or 2008. Back then it only had the flock of birds demo, but it blew my mind then and still looks great today. I remember right-clicking it and being shocked to not see Flash in the context menu.

Do you remember what the first HTML5 app or page you say that really blew your mind that it wasn't using a plugin?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Re: First HTML5 I ever saw

Post by Callan S. »

It was a survival game where you walked around on a procedural map trying to get resources. But it had such an odd name that I can't remember what it's called and a search yields nothing.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I hadn't seen that wilderness downtown site, but the first HTML5 site I remember seeing was similar. It was just a demo of the flying birds and you could lead them around with the cursor, and clicking scared them off. Wonder if that was a precursor to that site maybe?
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

The first i saw was halls top down zombie shooter I think :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

OldRod wrote:I hadn't seen that wilderness downtown site, but the first HTML5 site I remember seeing was similar. It was just a demo of the flying birds and you could lead them around with the cursor, and clicking scared them off. Wonder if that was a precursor to that site maybe?
Pretty sure it was. That site has been building up and improving the demo since the very first nightly Chrome release had basic HTML5 support. I don't remember all that fancy design on it from the first time I saw it. It was just a couple of trees, the sky and the birds. This "Arcade Fire" motif appears to have been dropped in some time since its initial release.

EDIT: Although it was a year or two later, this really blew my mind as well. And really still does.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:
OldRod wrote:I hadn't seen that wilderness downtown site, but the first HTML5 site I remember seeing was similar. It was just a demo of the flying birds and you could lead them around with the cursor, and clicking scared them off. Wonder if that was a precursor to that site maybe?
Pretty sure it was. That site has been building up and improving the demo since the very first nightly Chrome release had basic HTML5 support. I don't remember all that fancy design on it from the first time I saw it. It was just a couple of trees, the sky and the birds. This "Arcade Fire" motif appears to have been dropped in some time since its initial release.

EDIT: Although it was a year or two later, this really blew my mind as well. And really still does.
Wow jacko that website... wow! Someday HTML10 will beat C++ in gaming :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Jackolantern wrote:I just had a random thought to go and try to find the first HTML5 "app" I ever saw. I came across The Wilderness Downtown before moving to Houston, so it would have been around 2007 or 2008. Back then it only had the flock of birds demo, but it blew my mind then and still looks great today. I remember right-clicking it and being shocked to not see Flash in the context menu.

Do you remember what the first HTML5 app or page you say that really blew your mind that it wasn't using a plugin?
Wow, that Wilderness Downtown was seriously cool.
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It is! So you can imagine how mind-blowing it was 5 - 6 years ago when I saw it wasn't Flash!
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Return to “Off-Topic”