So I start college again tomorrow

Keep it clean but fun.
Sim

So I start college again tomorrow

Post by Sim »

after havn't taking no classes in 6months.

I am taking Java Programming II and Intro to Business.

I have only done Java programming in my Java Programming I class so this ought to be really interesting which was over 6 months. I forgot like everything =0
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: So I start college again tomorrow

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I have a couple guys that work for me that take some programming college courses and they show me some of their lessons and it is really a joke. They have to learn C#, C++, VB, Java, ect.. and it is the same programming they are writing over and over for each one. It makes no sense why they would teach that way and teach someone so many languages when in reality they will only use one or two at their job.
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

It's not the language you need to learn, it's the principals of coding. [EDIT] Oh, I bet you know them already :oops:
After that, you need to 'understand' the pros and cons of different languages to be able to see solutions in various ways.

But good luck, Sim! Oh and.. during those courses.. If you have the motivation.. Go for the 'wow'-factor, that is, push for something different in all the exercises, do a bit more and test your teachers actual skills ;-)
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

agreed on learning the fundamentals but learning the same fundamentals over and over in different languages defeats that purpose.
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

Good luck man! I"m glad u're taking classes again. I dropped college with a 3.74 GPA after two years. I really got bored and wasn't chalenging me anymore, so I dropped out. I should have never done so. So kudos and I hope you push onwards and upwards.
Nothing fancy, but a work in progress!

http://gameplaytoday.net
Sim

Post by Sim »

It def is not challenging at all. But where I live all IT jobs require a BS in CS. Even an AS degree is no use for IT jobs anymore.
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Im at university - My post is somewhere on this forum

I study VB - C++ and C# and I have to learn Java and Linux xD
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have a couple guys that work for me that take some programming college courses and they show me some of their lessons and it is really a joke. They have to learn C#, C++, VB, Java, ect.. and it is the same programming they are writing over and over for each one. It makes no sense why they would teach that way and teach someone so many languages when in reality they will only use one or two at their job.
That is really odd, and probably a sign of a very poor CS program at their school. We were formally taught only one high-level language (Java), and all other classes dig into deeper topics (such as assembly, writing compilers, operator system architecture, networking, HCI, data structures, etc.). There are some classes that teach other languages such as C++, Python and some others, but they are all what are called "Special Topics", which are essentially electives. You can either take a special topic course on another language, parallel programming, Android programming, etc.

Learning other languages is very beneficial for a programmer, but it does kind of sound like they may have a severe lack of CS teachers. Teaching languages is very easy since you can basically follow along in the same book you are teaching from. But teaching other topics generally requires a deep understanding of the topic (a teacher won't be able to teach an assembly class without actually knowing assembly intimately). There is a huge shortage of CS teachers today, and I assume that is probably it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Sim

Post by Sim »

I am thinking my college Strayer focuses on C#. In order to get my degree C# I and II are required if I remember correctly. I cant remember if Java I and II are as well. But C# as the most pre-reqs. Database stuff and other junky classes. ;\
oRPG Creator on Facebook
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Jackolantern wrote:
hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have a couple guys that work for me that take some programming college courses and they show me some of their lessons and it is really a joke. They have to learn C#, C++, VB, Java, ect.. and it is the same programming they are writing over and over for each one. It makes no sense why they would teach that way and teach someone so many languages when in reality they will only use one or two at their job.
That is really odd, and probably a sign of a very poor CS program at their school. We were formally taught only one high-level language (Java), and all other classes dig into deeper topics (such as assembly, writing compilers, operator system architecture, networking, HCI, data structures, etc.). There are some classes that teach other languages such as C++, Python and some others, but they are all what are called "Special Topics", which are essentially electives. You can either take a special topic course on another language, parallel programming, Android programming, etc.

Learning other languages is very beneficial for a programmer, but it does kind of sound like they may have a severe lack of CS teachers. Teaching languages is very easy since you can basically follow along in the same book you are teaching from. But teaching other topics generally requires a deep understanding of the topic (a teacher won't be able to teach an assembly class without actually knowing assembly intimately). There is a huge shortage of CS teachers today, and I assume that is probably it.
That makes sense. That is the way I would want classes structured.

Seems like Java is the base language for a lot of universities.

Return to “Off-Topic”