What to do with a 1/2 HP Motor?

Keep it clean but fun.
Zorber

What to do with a 1/2 HP Motor?

Post by Zorber »

Hey people of IR!

On Sunday my dad bought an old shopsmith bandsaw for $40 off of craiglist, the same model in it's current condition sells for between $90 - 150 on eBay on a weekly basis. However, we want to use it ourselves. Now, it didn't come with a motor, and my dad didn't want to pay for one so I asked one of my old bosses if he happened to have any lying around and he told me there wasn't a chance they would work but that I could check the retired heating units scattered around his business property.

So, last night I stopped by and pulled a few motors off of some of the different units out there (They have been sitting at the mercy of the elements for 8+ years). It took a lot of work as the bolts were rusted to heck, but once I removed them and got them back home I was able to get them running no problem.

Long story short, I've got two extra 1/2 HP motors sitting around, and I wondered if you guys had any project suggestions.

My dad and I are going to build a mount and stand for the bandsaw with the motor, I'll be sure to post some pictures of our progress and the finished result.

Here are te specs for the motor we are using:

Leland Faraday M-251
HP 1/2
Amperes 8.8
Frequency 60
RPM 1725
Voltage 115
Type C
Phase 1
Duty Cycle Continuous
Xaos

Re: What to do with a 1/2 HP Motor?

Post by Xaos »

Get a raspberry pi and build a little robot! Hook the motor up to some axles and have him fly around the house!

Return to “Off-Topic”