Beware!! Download.com

Keep it clean but fun.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Beware!! Download.com

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So I never use Anti virus software. Never needed it. Haven't had a virus in years. Even my 7 year old daughter does not get Virus's. Well today that is broken. I downloaded a MV4 converter from download.com and it swamped me with viruses. So it places a Truvia search engine and a You tube Excellerator app which locks your browser to their stupid search engine. You cannot even remove it in Settings. It renames your old chrome to Chrome_old and places a new chrome which changes your settings back everytime you use it. It then places a service under a false name that keeps chrome open. Even closing it in the processes will not close it. So then when you try to uninstall the,m it says it cannot because Chrome is open. Oh and by the way the name of the app in uninstall section is something like Music_0.3. Blows my mind that Download.com would allow it and/or someone does not stop it. It is crap like this that gives Windows such a bad name and it really drives me mad that they do not find a way to sue the crud out of these people as they are obviously doing illegal things.

Anyways finally got it all off which did't take to long and still proves the point that AntiVirus is pointless as I this 10 minutes of fixing was 1000x better than antivirus slowing down everything and scanning everything and deleting things when it wants. DO NOT USE DOWNLOAD.COM FOR ANYTHING!!!
Chris

Re: Beware!! Download.com

Post by Chris »

Always decompile where possible and check the source, you will also learn a thing or two while at it. I once downloaded a version of VLC which has a key logger in it. If I didn't decompile criminals would now know my passwords, email addresses, credit and bank card numbers and my pin codes.

You could be downloading from the official website, but some clever sadistic cunt thought he'd hack the router and let you download his version. Be very weary. I use the Microsoft Anti virus, does the job without degrading your performance to the point where it becomes non existent. Screw Norton.

http://www.telerik.com/products/decompiler.aspx
http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

Your firewall comes in handy, I've seen a way to even bypass that using a library that uses ready open ports which aren't being used, windows firewall doesn't detect a software instance mimicking another ready active instance.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.

Return to “Off-Topic”