Game development, or computer science? (university)

Keep it clean but fun.
Gunner

Game development, or computer science? (university)

Post by Gunner »

for the past weeks my parents have been asking me a lot about the path I will be taking on my univ. I have 1.5 more years before I will actually ship off to college and to be honest I'm not sure to choose wether computer science or game development.

I want something that could help me a lot during my 20-30s making games and starting a game studio by myself. I'm not entirely sure if game development path does that much, or does it? People here tell to just choose computer science but I'm not so sure also.. :?

can someone give me a deep insight about what CS will be covering and what GD will?

random answers on google are not as satisfying as I will probably get in here I think so.. I need your wisdom! :D

thanks
Chris

Re: Game development, or computer science? (university)

Post by Chris »

I think it differs per school. For example Game Development at one of the Universities in my area cover modeling, story telling and very minor programming. Whereas another focuses more on programming aspects rather than making stuff look nice and creative.

I guess the Game Development course would have to teach compulsory subjects such as math and your native language. If you are looking to develop computer skills in general, computer science would cover more technical aspects, whereas in most cases game development would cover creative aspects.

Either way, if you self teach yourself to program in combination with a creative route, or teach yourself to be creative in a technical route, you would end up like a magician.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

though I'm a high disbeliever of 'natural talent', but I think I'm naturally more of a creative person rather than logical, so is it wrong to go for CS?

and I'm still not entirely sure though.. :?

I want to go for a route where I can develop and keep creating on my way going to the end line of my univ. And by the time I finished college, I need to go looking for a job to work for a company to get financial security at first and then start my own game studio..

Which route do you think I will benefit more than the other one if I want to be like that?

and I will be somewhere in Germany
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well you're able to explain your future in steps so you can think logically ;)

Logic is nothing more than seeing ways to explain directions in steps. Believe and understand the theory of relativity and you have comprehended logic.

Being creative tends to require a keen eye for detail, such as being able to see good color combinations with your eye or making up a story that can entertain someones mind. A gift some people don't have.

Generally IT courses are roughly the same the first year. If you find your decision changes, you can generally change your route.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Computer science pertains to all sort is of industries including Game Development. With Game Development it pertains to one industry. Why limit yourself? It is like buying an Xbox to play any game or buying a hand help poker game that just plays poker. You might only want to play poker for the rest of your life but who knows what the future might bring. Your buddies might get into Call of Duty and want you to play.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

yeah I sure can but probably not as superb as the others.. I thought CS is only for those 'gifted' people :)

you guys' answers are always so kewl though

ok then so far I think I will just go for CS :D thanks a lot

this one at least cheered me up a bit
Being creative tends to require a keen eye for detail, such as being able to see good color combinations with your eye or making up a story that can entertain someones mind. A gift some people don't have.
I was always blaming myself for being so goddamn dumb when reading and learning new programming languages.. e.g I don't really understand math like my other friends do that quickly.. I need a couple of time and practices first..

well there is my tiny source of light at least :)
Last edited by Gunner on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You are the type to complete a project, and understand everything within a bigger picture (think outside of the box). You carry the gift of loyalty and tend to be playful. Tough decision.

Be patient ;)
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Unsure about how it is in Germany, but often there are Game Development tracks in CS or even Game Development courses. I'd go CS and then go for that, or a few art digital art classes/business classes.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Chris wrote:You are the type to complete a project, and understand everything within a bigger picture (think outside of the box). You carry the gift of loyalty and tend to be playful. Tough decision.

Be patient ;)
thanks for all the good words!! ;) sounds just exactly like my middle school teachers were all saying about me, even I actually thought it was just a-group-of-sentence-they-told-to-everyone-else-to-just-get-their-spirit-back :P . It seems like people trust myself better than I even do to myself lol.
Xaos wrote:Unsure about how it is in Germany, but often there are Game Development tracks in CS or even Game Development courses. I'd go CS and then go for that, or a few art digital art classes/business classes.
the extreme thing about univs in Germany is that they will D.O anyone that has < 65% on their test more than 3 times :P so I don't want that to happen and I better pick wise.. real wise.. :D

I told my mom about everything that I want to start my own studio and do business in it etc and that it requires more than just computer skills, she also suggested me to get external courses like business as you mentioned.

man I can't wait to grow up
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Make sure to do well in Maths. I was never great at Math until I started looking at math like programming. Now I feel I'm not too shabby :) And remember, the golden rule is be a good programmer.

Return to “Off-Topic”