Dual Booting with windows 8?

Keep it clean but fun.
Sim

Dual Booting with windows 8?

Post by Sim »

Anyone got experience with setting up dual booting with windows 8?

I don't have a windows 8 re-install DVD as I bought this laptop from a pawn-shop and I fuck this up, i'll be pretty damn upset. Anyone got a link to a "reliable source" I want to install windows xp on it also.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Jackolantern

Re: Dual Booting with windows 8?

Post by Jackolantern »

I think Microsoft has a tool that makes this easy to do, but I am having trouble finding it. If I am remembering right, they used to have it on Dreamspark even though it was free, but have since removed it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

What about people that have Windows 8 from factory? I have a ultrabook with Windows 8 (already pre-installed) and I was thinking dual booting with a linux distro for "wannabe" stuff and also to be my secure OS since I'm always afraid to do some stuff on windows because I might have something here spying on me.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Honestly I would not set a dual boot. Why not use virtual box and run a vm of what you want ?
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:Honestly I would not set a dual boot. Why not use virtual box and run a vm of what you want ?
I am wondering since he wants Windows XP if it has to do with playing older games, since XP was the last Windows OS that would flawlessly play pre-Vista games. If that is the case, Virtual Box would likely cause some serious performance issues unless he has a truly epic amount of RAM and like 16 CPUs.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

My problem with Virtual Box is that it screws up my ethernet port, and without it my eth connection is instant as i boot, with Virtual Box it stays loading like 2 minutes, and all my startup apps need the instant internet connection.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Never had any problem with virtual box, but you can try others like VMWare player.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It isn't Virtual Box per se, just the fact that it is a virtual machine. There is always a performance hit for running Virtual Machines. A high-end machine could probably run games well on a virtual machine, but mid-range computers may have a problem.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I was answering to vitinho44 jack ;)
And of course there is an impact on the performances, but you will most likely feel it on the GUI side not on normal "office" operations. So if you play a game, that may actually not playable. If you use Office, then it should be ok.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ahh, OK that makes sense lol

Return to “Off-Topic”