Potential future projects

Keep it clean but fun.
LNitewing

Potential future projects

Post by LNitewing »

I just got Unreal Engine 4.4! I'll have to play around with it sometime, it's going to be great!

I have a project in mind for a 3D dungeon crawler where you actually play the villain. I'm quite excited to start playing around with it when I have time. :D
Sanity is vastly overrated!
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
Jackolantern

Re: Potential future projects

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds cool!

I don't remember, is there an up-front license fee for Unreal, or is it just the royalty?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

You have to pay the $19/mo subscription fee at least once in order to get it. Then you can cancel at anytime. You only get the engine updates (typically monthly) from having an active subscription. If you do cancel, you can use the content/engine version from when you last subscribed.

For example, I only subscribed for now for version 4.4 to get used to it and stuffs. Now I can use version 4.4 whenever I want, subscription or not, I just have to pay royalties for releases. However, next month and the months after than I don't get those engine versions (4.5+) until I resubscribe for that month.
Twitter: @LNitewing (Personal Account), @NitewingGaming (for general development progress and stuff), @NiziniaGame (for specific updates on FKoN).
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh ok. That isn't so bad. You can just subscribe for a month and get a version to learn and mess around with and then re-subscribe when you get serious or after so much time has passed that you need to upgrade (for example, if a 5.0 comes out). That is quite flexible considering how many other engines disable if a subscription lapses.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

Yea, and being a professional engine capable of basically anything it's such a great deal. You can create entire games using only the visual scripting language called Blueprint or do it in c++/blueprint.

What they actually list on their site:
Unreal Engine 4 is priced so that Epic succeeds only when you succeed. We've made our policies to be friendly and low-risk: You can cancel your subscription at any time and continue using the engine, though foregoing future updates.

Unreal Engine 4, the game engine technology developed by Epic Games, is offered under a subscription plan at $19 per month. The Unreal Engine 4 subscription service allows developers everywhere to join a community dedicated to building great games and evolving Unreal Engine. The licensing terms are easy to understand, restrictions are minimal, and you can cancel at any time.

Under this service, you can access Unreal Engine 4 in its entirety: the full suite of integrated tools, the features and the entire C++ source code, which includes code for the Unreal Editor and all the tools. Membership includes official documentation, tutorials and support resources, plus tons of free UE4 content. Download free template games, sample games and content examples from the Marketplace to quickly get on your way to building all sorts of fun things!

Upon your initial payment of $19 you can download the engine and tools right away. Subscription automatically renews each month, and you'll receive regular updates such as improved features, more sample content, and (coming soon!) live changes to source code.

Once you ship your game, you owe 5% of gross revenue. For a more detailed explanation of how that works, see our product release help and EULA FAQ.

If you need C++ source code, the steps are: 1) create an account at unrealengine.com (you have to do this anyway to download the engine), 2) submit payment, 3) download and install the engine, 4) create a GitHub account, 5) link your GitHub account with your unrealengine.com credentials (see here), 6) access the source code from github.com/epicgames. Once you reach this step, you can fork the code and make any changes to Unreal Engine 4 imaginable!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very nice. Love UDK but have no real graphics talent to make something worth while.
LNitewing

Post by LNitewing »

well, I'm artistically challenged, so in the art department I'm going to work with someone at a later time to come up with high quality assets. :) In the mean time, placeholders will due until I have something solid. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”