USB Type-C plugs

Keep it clean but fun.
Verahta

USB Type-C plugs

Post by Verahta »

"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Jackolantern

Re: USB Type-C plugs

Post by Jackolantern »

I am all for reversible plugs! Even with most of the nicer USB cables today having something printed on the "up" side, it is still a pain!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Why not just invent some kind of round jack like the headphones thing? That way everything would be reversible, you just needed to fit it into the hole and you could spin it and do whatever you want but as long as it was in the hole, it was connected... Just some thoughts.
I don't fail my USB connections 90% of the times because i check the printed logo with my finger and then i know the side. those sideways USB ports are the ones who screw things up :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Round jacks are good for audio, but that is because it is analog. It only needs a handful (and many times only one) connection to create an adequate connection. However, USB is digital, so more connectors mean more bandwidth. That is why those ancient serial port adapters were so huge. They of course have shrunk them down pretty small due to advances in technology (such as Micro-HDMI), but a flat interface is more convenient to add more connections.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well can't they just make the connections around a circle? :D

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:Well can't they just make the connections around a circle? :D
That decreases the surface area too much.

I suppose someone probably could work out a way to add several connective bands on the prong and have each fraction of a micrometer of the connective area be another connection, but remember we have to keep these things commercially viable. This type of connector would likely cost 10x more than a USB cable to manufacture. People come up with new computer interface methods every day, but cost vs. effectiveness is what filters out all but the very best.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Oh i forgot about the cost :) I guess there's a reason why the current USB are the ones we are using right :D?

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Exactly :)

Return to “Off-Topic”