My External HD died :(

Keep it clean but fun.
D3luxe

My External HD died :(

Post by D3luxe »

So last night I was downloading some stuff to my external when an error popped up saying the downloads could no longer find their location..

I shut off the external and turned it back on. Resumed the downloads, they worked fine.

Shortly after the downloads were done I went to extract them..only to realize that it was going to take roughly 77 hours to extract a 6gig rar (HAH!). I tried copying over the rar to my desktop..102 hours to move it. Tried a few other things after that, all of which saying that my HD is, in fact, dying :(

It's a 1TB hd with a shitload of stuff on it..stuff I didn't really plan on losing. Luckily I do have backups of most of my important stuff, however it still SUCKS to lose all of my music, torrents, movies, downloads, etc. Everything I would download would go onto my external, so if I needed it again in the future I already had the install file...Not anymore!

I also tried taking the HD out of the external and putting it inside. Same problems.

I looked up the model of my HD and realized that there have been a TON of reports of people claiming that this HD was defective. It's a Seagate HD and Seagate did confirm that the firmware of the HD was defective and was causing lockups. I checked my firmware..and of course it's already the newest one out, meaning that it's a hardware problem and not a firmware problem.

*Sigh*. I lost over half my storage and roughly the same of my files..Gahhhh
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
J4CKB93

Re: My External HD died :(

Post by J4CKB93 »

Thats bad, i had the same problem about 6 mouths ago but a different situation, i got a new External HD plug had it for 2 weeks had about 200GB of things on there, and after the two weeks it started to fry i did not realise till it was too late. had to go out and buy anyother and had no backups :(

Hope you get yours fixed or buy a new one.
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

J4CKB93 wrote:Thats bad, i had the same problem about 6 mouths ago but a different situation, i got a new External HD plug had it for 2 weeks had about 200GB of things on there, and after the two weeks it started to fry i did not realise till it was too late. had to go out and buy anyother and had no backups :(

I'm going to call the company and complain. I hate Seagate with a passion, this is probably the 3rd HD from Seagate to die on me.

The is absolutely no reason why a HD should die after 8 months, especially when it was not on all the time.

Definitely sticking with WesternDigital now..I leave those beasts running 24/7 and I've had one for 6 years with no faults yet. Never had a problem with WD...Seagate on the other hand is a piece of shit.
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
J4CKB93

Post by J4CKB93 »

D3luxe wrote:
J4CKB93 wrote:Thats bad, i had the same problem about 6 mouths ago but a different situation, i got a new External HD plug had it for 2 weeks had about 200GB of things on there, and after the two weeks it started to fry i did not realise till it was too late. had to go out and buy anyother and had no backups :(

I'm going to call the company and complain. I hate Seagate with a passion, this is probably the 3rd HD from Seagate to die on me.

The is absolutely no reason why a HD should die after 8 months, especially when it was not on all the time.

Definitely sticking with WesternDigital now..I leave those beasts running 24/7 and I've had one for 6 years with no faults yet. Never had a problem with WD...Seagate on the other hand is a piece of shit.
I know wht you mean my PS3 Hard Drive is made by seagate and that keeps corrupting or cant be read, so most days i have to take it out leave it 5 mins put it back in the the PS3 and it works, but it is going to die soom i think.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

wow this info is good to know. I am in the market for a external HD.

Sorry you had to be the learning case though. I would definitely call seagate. They may have a recovery program made just for this.
D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:wow this info is good to know. I am in the market for a external HD.

Sorry you had to be the learning case though. I would definitely call seagate. They may have a recovery program made just for this.
Yeah, if you're shopping for an external I would definitely recommend one with a WD HD in it. Stay far away from Maxtor and Seagate or you're asking to buy a new one a few months down the road.

From what I've seen their "recovery program" is just that you can either update the firmware on your HD, or you can send it in (free of charge) to recover your files from your crashed HD. I already have the newest version and would rather just get a new HD then have them try to recover this one. As I said there's nothing of too much importance on this one, but I would still like the extra space back.
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
J4CKB93

Post by J4CKB93 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:wow this info is good to know. I am in the market for a external HD.

I would also like to say if you are looking for some Hard Drives then i would try http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/dirr ... rd%20drive i use them all the time and i have built a few of my computer with things i got from this site and there are still going years down the road.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

sweet thanks!
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

Damn that sucks. I use a 500GB WesternDigital and a 1TB Samsung. Both work really good, and the WesternDigital has been running almost 24/7 for about 2.5 years now. No problems with it at all.

Return to “Off-Topic”