Oculus Rift experiment idea

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Oculus Rift experiment idea

Post by Jackolantern »

I just thought of something I would love to try with an Oculus Rift system. First, I would want to set up two similar cameras next to each other in a room and then connect those to the computer. Then set each camera to display on the correct eye of the Oculus Rift (I am not that familiar with Oculus Rift, but I would assume this would take some custom software) so that you would get a 3D view of whatever the cameras are pointing out. And then turn the cameras back on myself wearing the Oculus Rift, and try to actually cook dinner that way: seeing nothing but a 3D, third-person view of myself in my surroundings.

I think the brain would be utterly, completely confused by this and it would be quite an experience trying to do anything. I also think Dinner would be quite light that night ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Oculus Rift experiment idea

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

that is just odd. Not sure what would happen. On the note of the Oculus Rift I am excited they have it for developers now for $350. I might just grab one but does it have an engine with it or is it all scratch coding and what language. Or does it add to a normal game?
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

It is like anything, a peripheral is just that. Remember the VR craze back in the 90's? There are periods from that craze where they try and make the 3d aspect work. I believe these sort of technologies are cool, but in the long run they will never make it. In this temporal moment they are around, but as soon as a technology is there to create projections and eventually I imagine we will see something like a holodeck. This is where 3d will shine. Not wearing crappy goggles or augmenting any reality with this real one.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:that is just odd. Not sure what would happen. On the note of the Oculus Rift I am excited they have it for developers now for $350. I might just grab one but does it have an engine with it or is it all scratch coding and what language. Or does it add to a normal game?
I really have no idea. I don't know what comes with it, how you you work with it (although I would assume it comes with some kind of SDK), etc.
Sharlenwar wrote:I believe these sort of technologies are cool, but in the long run they will never make it.
I don't think it will ever be in every household, that is for sure. I just thought it would work well for this experiment since it can block out all other visual sensation except for what you want the person to see :)
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Jackolantern wrote:I don't think it will ever be in every household, that is for sure. I just thought it would work well for this experiment since it can block out all other visual sensation except for what you want the person to see :)
I agree with you Jack. It definitely would be an interesting experiment.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I saw a video about people using Oculus to simulate lagg in real life, like the feed from the oculus was 3s late or something and they were so confused, it was amazing :D
I believe I saw a project like your idea Jacko, it was a device that used oculus to provide you a 3rd person view (just like in gta v). But that seems like very confusing to the brain imo.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:I saw a video about people using Oculus to simulate lagg in real life, like the feed from the oculus was 3s late or something and they were so confused, it was amazing :D
I believe I saw a project like your idea Jacko, it was a device that used oculus to provide you a 3rd person view (just like in gta v). But that seems like very confusing to the brain imo.
Oh, cool! I tried searching to see if anyone had done anything like this, but I probably just wasn't the right words.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Here's the lagg video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNp37zFn9Q

3rd person in real life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgBeRP4dUGo

Have fun.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, just found those. Thanks :)

The 3rd person one is the closest to this idea, but instead of having the camera follow along with you, I would like to have it sit stationary away from your body and pointed back at you as if you were looking through someone else's eyes watching you.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:Yeah, just found those. Thanks :)

The 3rd person one is the closest to this idea, but instead of having the camera follow along with you, I would like to have it sit stationary away from your body and pointed back at you as if you were looking through someone else's eyes watching you.
Wow that's even wierd'er for the brain :D

Return to “Off-Topic”