Google seeking dev applicants for modular smartphones

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Google seeking dev applicants for modular smartphones

Post by Jackolantern »

I am a firm believer in modular smartphones, since I think this is one of the major pieces that could put smartphones on par with desktop computers. The idea is that you can basically snap apart your phone, and change out components easily, like a desktop computer. A new processor comes out? Instead of having to wait until you can upgrade to a whole new phone that uses it relearn a new piece of hardware, you can just buy the processor module and snap it into your existing phone. A new 75MP camera comes out? Same thing, just buy and snap in the new camera. This would be one step closer to treating smartphones as computers and not as consumer electronics.

Anyway, Google just announced a new beta program for developers. They will be giving out a limited number of "boards" (which I assume are the modular phone prototypes). The deadline to apply for round 1 is July 17th, so not much time there. Round 2 will end August 15.

Selection is based on technical experience and your pitched idea. I know I don't have enough native Android experience to apply, but I know some people on here do, and this could be a cool thing to check out.

The submission form is here.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Re: Google seeking dev applicants for modular smartphones

Post by Xaos »

I don't have native Android experience but I do have cross-platform. Going to apply anyway, whynot? :D Maybe I can throw a good story tgether of me being a rising HS senior and a programmer and etc.

Return to “Off-Topic”