Should I take a job for 20% of the company?

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

Should I take a job for 20% of the company?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, so a while ago in my college there were some students from accounting or something asking for a website coder for an idea for a company (their startup).

I like a challenge, so i took the test, I had to make a tradings website, so I did: www.oryzhon.com/marketplace
It's fairly simple (for me), I used Alain's DB class (thank you so much man ;) ) and all went pretty smooth.

So yesterday they contacted me on facebook, and said I was the chosen one.. I was happy ofc, i just beat other people :) But then I asked friends for opinions and they all have told me one thing that I cant forget:
20% of 0 is 0!
I just can't forget that... And it's true obviously...
So what I want to know from you guys, is what would you do? Should I accept it? My duty is to develop the website and mobile apps for 20% of the company. I don't have any part in the financial part of the company, i just take 20% of the revenue (according to them) and if the company gets sold, i get 20%.

What should I take notice before and after? I want to know from you guys that are already in the job market, and have experience with this stuff because I'm just a 18 year old kid...

Thank you ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Chris

Re: Should I take a job for 20% of the company?

Post by Chris »

20% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Wasn't that one some guy in Tokio Drift said or something?

Aren't you an adult when you are 18? Make sure you sign a contract stating you own 20% of the shares of the corporation.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

It depends. Do you believe so much in the company that you're willing to work for free/highly discounted? If they only ever profit $100, you've made a whopping $20, and how much was your web dev/app dev worth? Are you also expected to head the IT department in a whole, including trouble-shooting/help-desk, architecture, project management, etc.? Does the company have plans to grow the IT department if they continue to profit and grow and if they do, will you be allowed to bring on people to help you, and where is that money going to come from? All of these are questions you should probably know before becoming a major share-holder and essentially giving work away short-time for long-term goals.

Tl;dr : Do you believe that the company will succeed past the point of your normal web/app dev cost in order to take on that responsibility and any future responsibility that the job may entail? If you believe in the company, do it. If not, it's not worth your time.

To also give a concrete answer, you could try asking for X amount of money as "insurance" to make sure you don't work for free and the 20%. Unless they're just a stellar, 100% guarantee company.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Chris wrote:20% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Wasn't that one some guy in Tokio Drift said or something?

Aren't you an adult when you are 18? Make sure you sign a contract stating you own 20% of the shares of the corporation.
I'm an adult yes, but I pretty much feel like a kid yet, and i like it that way xD
They said in the contract there will be the 20% stated and also that I don't have part in the financial part of the company so no debts go to me.
Xaos wrote: Tl;dr : Do you believe that the company will succeed past the point of your normal web/app dev cost in order to take on that responsibility and any future responsibility that the job may entail? If you believe in the company, do it. If not, it's not worth your time.

To also give a concrete answer, you could try asking for X amount of money as "insurance" to make sure you don't work for free and the 20%. Unless they're just a stellar, 100% guarantee company.
I did read it all, If someone asks for advice and doesn't read it all, then that person should be quiet!
Xaos wrote: It depends. Do you believe so much in the company that you're willing to work for free/highly discounted?
I would say I'm about 40% trusting the idea behind the company. But I'm sure that if it fails, it won't be due to the quality of my work.
Xaos wrote: If they only ever profit $100, you've made a whopping $20, and how much was your web dev/app dev worth?
I don't know the market too well to know what is worth a full working trade site and it's own mobile apps.. I've read here in the forums that someone made a simple website and sold it for around 200$, so im guessing in the order of thousands a full working php + mysql website and its own mobile apps.

Xaos wrote: Are you also expected to head the IT department in a whole, including trouble-shooting/help-desk, architecture, project management, etc.?
They say I'll be my own boss, so that 100% of the website maintenance (coding stuff) and mobile apps will be on me.
Xaos wrote: Does the company have plans to grow the IT department if they continue to profit and grow and if they do, will you be allowed to bring on people to help you, and where is that money going to come from?
They say since I'm my own boss, I'll be the leader of my own team (if i want to hire new people), but I think that those people will get a cut from my share. (Not sure)

Like i said, I'm 40% trusting the idea and 60% trusting it will be good either way for my portfolio... I still don't know what to do.. :(

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I'd say it's dumb - say the company got big - then you could do nothing and get 20% of a companies revenue, for the rest of your life? Anyone who writes up a contract like that is not that good with finances to begin with!

Second thing, get a copy of the contract in advance rather than only reading it when they hand it to you/essentially pressure you to read it quickly.

Finally don't find the offer flattering - this is simply a question of investment and you can invest in all sorts of things at any time.

Figure how much you are worth per hour - $20 an hour? $30 an hour? Then figure how many hours you are going to put into this. IMPORTANT: Figure out your 'game over' amount of hours - how many hours do you put in before you cut this project loose? Do not fall into a sunk cost fallacy where since you put in effort you are reluctant to let go of that effort, so you throw even more effort in - make sure to avoid this and have a 'game over' figure. If you haven't been paid enough to make up for each hour by then, you cut the project loose.

I rather suspect your work will be the workhorse of the operation - rather than you getting 20%, it's probably more like them getting 80% of the profits of your labour.

Good luck!
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

If it was me, I'd make sure they understand my time commitment first. Student first, business second. Until it gets big, then your priorities can change a bit. Then, make sure you wouldn't be giving away your share if you need to hire more people. That should come from them/their pockets if they agree with you that there is a need to hire. I'd then negotiate on getting some $ or something up-front and taking the 20%, especially if you're only about 40% sure of its success.

And it was me that made a simple site for $200 ;)

For a good figure, take a look around your area and see what an average web-manager would make (if that's going to be your role). Estimate how many hours you will be working on the project. How profitable will the business have to be for you to be making that average?

As profability required to meet average wage increases, so should your initial payment
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

These kinds of deals aren't that uncommon really. They are offering you equity in exchange for your work. Basically, they are asking you to partner with them.

But there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. Signing a contract is a big deal. They could put some really ugly stuff in there, and possibly not even intend for it to be bad (so even if you really feel they are great people, read it with a magnifying glass). For example, a time constraint on you would be an automatic deal killer for me. For example, they say they need your help for a minimum of 2 years. On the outset that doesn't sound that crazy. They of course don't want to get screwed either. But contracts to hold employees can so easily turn into a problem. Say they aren't making much money, but issues come up in your life where you need more money and need it fast. You could find yourself in a horrible situation where you are working a day job to make money, and then working all night for them for next-to-nothing to fulfill a contract. A required time of stay should be a deal killer. You should have an option to abandon your equity to leave.

2. You need to know what 20% of the money really means. Companies rarely give "20% of revenue", and if they are, they don't know anything about business and you should run. Equity means "N% of company profit". The reason is because "revenue" means all money coming in. Getting a percent of revenue is called "royalty". Say they sell wooden boards, for example. They buy a certain kind of wooden board for $8 and sell it for $10. If two employees are getting 40% royalty between them, they each take $2 out of that $10, so the net is that the company lost $2 (they only have $6 left out of the $10 revenue from an $8 board). A true equity deal would be 40% of the profits, so each would take $0.40 (20% of profit) from each board. And that assumes there is no overhead to buy and sell the boards.

So you can see this is a huge difference here. Plus, most start-ups are not profitable for a long time, because pretty much all of the profit is reinvested back into the company to grow it. This is considered fair play in the world of business, so that could extend the time even further before you see a cent. And as a 20% equity holder, your voice would be fairly small as to the direction of the company and when or how profits are reinvested back into the company.

----

As others have touched on, I would only do it if you really believe in what they are doing. 40% belief is not enough. Programmers are very valuable, and one of the largest expenses for any tech-related company.

If their ideas are just "we are gonna make some apps of some cool stuff and try to make some money", get out of there. If they have an idea that really resonated with you as something with promise, and they have a true vision, then I would consider it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Jack speaks truely! :)
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Wow this is some serious subject :)
Callan S. wrote:I'd say it's dumb - say the company got big - then you could do nothing and get 20% of a companies revenue, for the rest of your life? Anyone who writes up a contract like that is not that good with finances to begin with!

Second thing, get a copy of the contract in advance rather than only reading it when they hand it to you/essentially pressure you to read it quickly.

Finally don't find the offer flattering - this is simply a question of investment and you can invest in all sorts of things at any time.

Figure how much you are worth per hour - $20 an hour? $30 an hour? Then figure how many hours you are going to put into this. IMPORTANT: Figure out your 'game over' amount of hours - how many hours do you put in before you cut this project loose? Do not fall into a sunk cost fallacy where since you put in effort you are reluctant to let go of that effort, so you throw even more effort in - make sure to avoid this and have a 'game over' figure. If you haven't been paid enough to make up for each hour by then, you cut the project loose.

I rather suspect your work will be the workhorse of the operation - rather than you getting 20%, it's probably more like them getting 80% of the profits of your labour.

Good luck!
In my country there aren't many web developers on the "loose" and I don't know their payment. Also I'm not flattered but I really think I could down my worth because I have some issues about thinking I'm that good at something.
That game over figure I'll certainly do (in case I accept), but I first need to read the contract word by word, get some conclusions out of it and then see what I win and lose. And If it says I have to stay there for x years I decline on the spot.

Xaos wrote:If it was me, I'd make sure they understand my time commitment first. Student first, business second. Until it gets big, then your priorities can change a bit. Then, make sure you wouldn't be giving away your share if you need to hire more people. That should come from them/their pockets if they agree with you that there is a need to hire. I'd then negotiate on getting some $ or something up-front and taking the 20%, especially if you're only about 40% sure of its success.

And it was me that made a simple site for $200 ;)

For a good figure, take a look around your area and see what an average web-manager would make (if that's going to be your role). Estimate how many hours you will be working on the project. How profitable will the business have to be for you to be making that average?

As profability required to meet average wage increases, so should your initial payment
Ahhh nice one with the site :D
Yeah they are students too and I think they understand that I would not commit 100% at first. I wouldn't accept that 20% for me and my team, and I'm not sure if that's the deal, I just guessed.
Jackolantern wrote:These kinds of deals aren't that uncommon really. They are offering you equity in exchange for your work. Basically, they are asking you to partner with them.
That's exactly what they've told me, they need a co-founder.
Jackolantern wrote: 1. Signing a contract is a big deal. They could put some really ugly stuff in there, and possibly not even intend for it to be bad (so even if you really feel they are great people, read it with a magnifying glass). For example, a time constraint on you would be an automatic deal killer for me. For example, they say they need your help for a minimum of 2 years. On the outset that doesn't sound that crazy. They of course don't want to get screwed either. But contracts to hold employees can so easily turn into a problem. Say they aren't making much money, but issues come up in your life where you need more money and need it fast. You could find yourself in a horrible situation where you are working a day job to make money, and then working all night for them for next-to-nothing to fulfill a contract. A required time of stay should be a deal killer. You should have an option to abandon your equity to leave.
Yeah I will do that, I won't commit to a X years contract because I want the power to leave as soon as I reach my 'game over' figure. (thanks to Callan ;) )
Jackolantern wrote: 2. You need to know what 20% of the money really means. Companies rarely give "20% of revenue", and if they are, they don't know anything about business and you should run. Equity means "N% of company profit". The reason is because "revenue" means all money coming in. Getting a percent of revenue is called "royalty". Say they sell wooden boards, for example. They buy a certain kind of wooden board for $8 and sell it for $10. If two employees are getting 40% royalty between them, they each take $2 out of that $10, so the net is that the company lost $2 (they only have $6 left out of the $10 revenue from an $8 board). A true equity deal would be 40% of the profits, so each would take $0.40 (20% of profit) from each board. And that assumes there is no overhead to buy and sell the boards.
I'll make sure to see what they mean exactly for the 20%, I don't think it will be revenue, It should be profit, it's more likely.

Jackolantern wrote: As others have touched on, I would only do it if you really believe in what they are doing. 40% belief is not enough. Programmers are very valuable, and one of the largest expenses for any tech-related company.

If their ideas are just "we are gonna make some apps of some cool stuff and try to make some money", get out of there. If they have an idea that really resonated with you as something with promise, and they have a true vision, then I would consider it.
Their Idea for what they've told me its basically a trading website, but instead of Person to person trading, the Seller sends the product to the buyer, but the buyer sends the money to the company, and the company gives X days so the buyer can say "its okay", if he says that, then the money - commission is forwarded to the seller, else the buyer gets his money back, and the seller gets his product back.

I don't trust the idea 100%... But I'm always thinking on the what if..?

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Sounds like an ebay type of website with a twist.

Anyways Vintho, this decision you will make is a life altering one. It is what us adults do all the time. You just need to weigh everything in and decide if it is worth your time and effort to put into the project.

For example, I do a particular job at the resort here I am at. It is a pseudo-IT and accounting type of job. I get paid a certain salary (low in my mind) and so I put out work equivalent to that salary. I do work a bit harder on the projects that my boss gives to me to show that I am willing to go above and beyond. But I manage my time so that I don't exceed 40 hours a week (whether I work from home or at work). As soon as I do, then I'm heading into that "game over" situation. It is a corporate job, and so the challenge is working with other personalities and egos. My main problem I have here is the co-workers. They move at the pace of molasses and I require emails from anyone so that I have something to prove what was said and mentioned.

I'm not sure how well you know the people you will be working with, but have you worked in a group situation before (don't count school)? Have you worked at jobs where you work with others? You will find that a lot of your job could deal with some interesting personalities. Be prepared for that.

Just weigh everything in and think it all through. Follow your gut too. If you are reading something and your gut is telling you something different. Of course, my opinion if it matters.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG

Return to “Off-Topic”