Going back to school.

Keep it clean but fun.
Chris

Going back to school.

Post by Chris »

In March I finally graduated my Software Development course and got hired where I was doing my internship to work on the back-end system for the dutch My Vodafone App.

I have my degree in Software Development, which when it comes to winding myself up like clockwork into the system doesn't earn half as much as I would like to aim for. With my degree I can now go on to get a Bachelors degree in Software Engineering, Game Development, System and Networking Engineering, Technical IT or Business IT and Management.

Two weeks ago I had to go to the university to pass a test, which would determine which course I would best be suited for. It turns out I'd be good at the lot of them as I scored 100% in all of the fields.

I'm now at the point of making a decision. Initially I wrote myself in for Software Engineering. Game Development however seems like a much more interesting course. All of the courses are four year courses, afterwards I can go on to do a Masters Degree.

If I were to study Software Engineering, I would go on to do a Masters in Computer Science which is a two years course. I can also get my Masters in Computer Science by doing Game Development, however I would have to do a pre-master course which takes a year extra.

A Management function generally earns more than a Developer function, so I'm not going to rule out Business IT and Management either.

I'm curious to know what kind of jobs I could get as a Game Developer, besides testing games.

Who would like to help me make a decision?
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Xaos

Re: Going back to school.

Post by Xaos »

Well, atleast in the U.S., you can do Game Development jobs with Software Engineering degree, but not always the other way around. If you were comfortable with taking an extra year, however, I'd say do Game Development with the masters in CS, because that shows you have the theoretical CS, Software Engineering skills and also have the Game Dev, which is more interesting to you.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Pretty much what I was going to say. You can get a job in game development with a software engineering degree, but if you have a game development degree regular software engineering jobs may not take you seriously.

Plus, there really isn't a set curriculum for game development courses yet. Many of them are kind of a mess of programming, game designing, art, etc. Most seem to try to train you in all positions, which is not really how it should work.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Game Development Degrees, Where you learn how to build a game in UDK so you can relearn how to use Unity or program from scratch later. Stick with Software Engineering.

Congrats on all the success btw!

Return to “Off-Topic”