Raspberry Pi?

Keep it clean but fun.
Sharlenwar

Raspberry Pi?

Post by Sharlenwar »

Okay, I know I'm behind a bit on some things, but what exactly is a Raspberry Pi? How does it function? Any pointers to any websites that allow you to purchase parts?

If there are other solutions that are similar, please discuss.

Thanks!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Xaos

Re: Raspberry Pi?

Post by Xaos »

It's very similiar to Arduino. It is, literally, a mini-computer the size of a credit card. Here is a link to buy. You can do anything you can do with a computer, it's just smaller, which leads to a wide variety of functionality. I have one, but it's just kind of sitting for now. My problem is I have to take the keyboard+mouse from my computer and plug it in, as well as screen space, so it's kind of a hassle, so I just haven't done much with it. I eventually want to build an emulator machine housed in a gameboy color case that runs everything from MAME to game boy advanced :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I have got a few of them. I use them for media server, webserver, SVN server, fun little projects, database, and anything else I can think of.

Just think of it as a Linux box small enough to build its case with legos :P
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Yeah, it is an amazing device. I'm going to have to do some more research. If this can effectively eliminate a useless desktop computer, then it is an option. Has anyone tried to stress test them? Or would it be fine for a flavour of Linux running your typical web services (HTTP, PHP, mySQL, etc.) through it?
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I have one, and so far I've used it as Media Center with XBMC and It's good for movies and media in general.
I wanted to build a cloud service (personal only) but I don't have a HD/SDD yet so that needs to be delayed xD

I need to check out my old legos to build myself a case, Halls not sure if you tried, but how's the overheating? Any troubles?
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

srachit

Post by srachit »

Xaos wrote:It's very similiar to Arduino. It is, literally, a mini-computer the size of a credit card. Here is a link to buy. You can do anything you can do with a computer, it's just smaller, which leads to a wide variety of functionality. I have one, but it's just kind of sitting for now. My problem is I have to take the keyboard+mouse from my computer and plug it in, as well as screen space, so it's kind of a hassle, so I just haven't done much with it. I eventually want to build an emulator machine housed in a gameboy color case that runs everything from MAME to game boy advanced :D
Just wanted to make a small note, there is a big difference between an arduino and a raspberry pi. An arduino is a micro controller and a raspberry pi is a micro processor (a small computer. An arduino is mainly used to control hardware and create things like robots, while a raspberry has most of the hardware already built. Check here for more: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/06/18 ... board-etc/
hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have got a few of them. I use them for media server, webserver, SVN server, fun little projects, database, and anything else I can think of.

Hey halls I have an old asus eeepc lying around that I was thinking of converting into a webserver and connecting a harddrive to it, to be basically able to access my files remotely. But I never got around to doing this as I thought I'd require a static ip address for something like this, is there a way around it?
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have got a few of them. I use them for media server, webserver, SVN server, fun little projects, database, and anything else I can think of.

Hey halls I have an old asus eeepc lying around that I was thinking of converting into a webserver and connecting a harddrive to it, to be basically able to access my files remotely. But I never got around to doing this as I thought I'd require a static ip address for something like this, is there a way around it?[/quote]

I'm no halls, but that static ip thing, you could use dyndns or no-ip services to maintain a dns for your IP (and it changes automatically).

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I'm no halls, but that static ip thing, you could use dyndns or no-ip services to maintain a dns for your IP (and it changes automatically)
what I was gonna say

I have some of mine just tacked to the wall :)

I have never had a issue with overheating no matter where I put them.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Aahaha My dad is self conscious about walls :/ But I usually keep it just on top of a table or something and it's fine, but I never let it 24/7 on though... But since yours can take it, mine probably can too.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

One of mine was on for 7 months straight, turned off for a week then back on for 2 months now.

and here is one for a year

Code: Select all

uptime
     05:21:42 up 314 days,  5:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.37, 0.14, 0.08

Return to “Off-Topic”