Indie-Resource Live!

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

Indie-Resource Live!

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys... I have some time before my next college exams so I'm thinking on some new cool project to create.
I won't lie, I have my facebook open like 100% of the time im on the PC.. and that's like everytime :P, for two reasons:
1 - Talk with friends
2 - See what's up with the pages and friends linked to my account.
So i asked myself a few times, why won't you try to create a social network? :o Well, it's not easy i know. But i could try right?
Ok so i did a little research, on "What people want from Social Networking". I found out a website giving advice on people trying to create "the next facebook". Well although i would love to create the next facebook, not only for money but for the recognition, that's not my goal, not for now. But i read it anyway since I like to know people's opinion.
The author said that you can't compete unless you have:
a) Something NEW or UNIQUE that the big league doesn't have.
b) Users that will visit your website from time 0.
Ok i don't have any, so let's move on.
Since i don't have either users and something UNIQUE, i decided to search on What people want from a website like that. The top ones i found were:
1- Meet New People
2- Reconnect with Old Friends
3- Chat
4- Join Interest Groups
5- Blogging
6- Share Photos, Albums and Videos
7- Help or Get Help
8- Belong to something
Hum.. i don't know about you, but once i had this list, all i could think of is Indie-Resource.

Now that we have a introduction, let me disclaim here:
The following idea is just that, an idea. It's name and connection to Indie-resource is plain fictional, and just for "example" purposes. Of course if Halls allows, this idea could turn real. But else it's just an idea and a actual example.

Ok people. Now what I want to tell you is. Imagine a place (website duhh) called Indie-Resource Live. Indie-Resource Live would be a social-network for indie game developers that would meet the "What people want from Social Networking LIST"!
On Indie-resource Live you could exactly:
1- Meet New People (Developers and Players)
2- Reconnect with Old Friends (...:D )
3- Chat (With everyone!!)
4- Join Interest Groups (Game Development teams or focus groups)
5- Blogging (Blog your Development status)
6- Share Photos, Albums and Videos (Share your game's media! )
7- Help or Get Help (ask for help or help others make their game)
8- Belong to something (belong to one of the best communities ever created!)
I don't plan to steal users from IR or anything like that. Just create a Open-Source platform that focus on that List, either for Indies, for people in general, soccer moms, anything.

Now what I want is 1Billion USD and some cookies :D
Nah just kidding, what I want to know is what you guys think of this "idea", and if Indie-Resource Live should be created.

Now like i said in the disclaimer, this was just to present my idea, the Plaform LIVE would be a Open-Source social network website created for multiple purposes focused on that LIST always.
Give me some feedback ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

dave3460

Re: Indie-Resource Live!

Post by dave3460 »

i think its a great idea

i have done a facebook type site with friends and video and images adds

using a few guides to help along the way

great idea
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Thanks man :) I really think it could improve the communication barrier that the forums have. Sure you can post here your project and what not... but you could do it on IR-Live in real time and people giving real time feedback.

I'm planning to build it with my knowledge at the moment. PHP for server logic, HTML & CSS for display purposes, jQuery and Ajax for some cool tricks, PDO for database and its all i can think about for now.

Gunner

Post by Gunner »

That's cool, but you might want to just prototype it first since I see quite a few people here don't really like social networking
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Gunner wrote:That's cool, but you might want to just prototype it first since I see quite a few people here don't really like social networking
I'm not sure i will move on with it. It's similar to game industry but with less chances of success.. Facebook does pretty much everything people want but I will sure try if I have the time and patience :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Off-Topic”