GitHub

Keep it clean but fun.
Xaos

GitHub

Post by Xaos »

Does anyone here have GitHub? I just created one, going to put some of my smaller projects on there and hopefully be able to get involved in some open source stuff, in terms of helping others and being a part of their project, as my big projects right now (Fish Harvesting Game and Football Sim) I won't make open source.
a_bertrand

Re: GitHub

Post by a_bertrand »

Actually I really dislike Git... So no I don't use it. Instead I do have some open source code I maintain on sourceforge.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

I'm also not a super duper an of Git. Yeah, I understand its use cases, but still prefer svn. That it seems that every OSS project in the universe uses Git these days is actually kind of annoying.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I loathe Git but use it. If I am correct was created by the developer of Linux so it got a huge boost at get go.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Why so against Git? I don't know much about it other than it's purpose.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I don't like the "double submit" and the fact you MUST download the whole repository. I work with a different workflow where I don't care about branches (at all), yet, with huge repositories, with access rights, and certainly don't want to submit to a local directory and then push it to the central one. Sorry for me that's just all time lost. For Linux kernel development it may fully make sense but hardly for me.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I like Git alright and use it sometimes. It powers NPM, which I use all the time and love, so I have to say I at least like it alright for that reason alone lol. I don't have much up on it at the present time, though. My name is JackolanternIR on there ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Ark

Post by Ark »

Yeah I use git too. First I push the code to the git server, and then I make pull request on my server. It's easier this way to update code on the server instead of ftp. Anyways if you don't want your code to be public you can use https://bitbucket.org/ for free private repos.
Orgullo Catracho
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

My issue with the git is the archaic way of doing everything. You spend too much time learned in all the -r -er -thisisstupid /wtf and all the commands to get something to work right.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Git works that way because command line is the lowest common denominator. It, like most things dealing with open source web development, started on Linux and not all Linux distros have a GUI. There is a github GUI for Windows which works pretty well.

Maybe I am weird, but I actually like working with the command line lol :roll:
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Off-Topic”