Flappy Bird! FTW!

Keep it clean but fun.
Gunner

Flappy Bird! FTW!

Post by Gunner »

Holy crap! I wonder why could a simple chopper based game with pixel arty graphic got over 50+ m downloads in google play store. Hence talking about its originality imo it's not so original, basically there is a lot of games like this but with different play methods.. that flying chopper game for example. The difference spotted is when on flappy bird your character 'jumps' when tapped. whereas games like the rest 'stays flying' as long as your finger hits your screen.

its so driving me crazy. it gets me to think all you need is fame to succeed! :o I believe the dev is close to such society that "hey man check out this game" and then the next guy passes it on to the next guy and so on.

Or are they just one single lucky fish?
vitinho444

Re: Flappy Bird! FTW!

Post by vitinho444 »

Lucky fish imo.

I tried it ONCE. I hated it and it doesn't surprised me that it became famous. There are a lot of stupid people out there and they come across this type of games and they are in-love with them.
I'm not calling anyone that plays it stupid, I'm just a little mad because there are a lot of good games out there that don't get this spotlight and i feel sorry for them because I imagine myself in their place, and i would have such an anger inside of me.

Also, randomly generated games like these annoy me big time, why? Because you can have a easier level than i do. Not saying score matters but I like fair games that are equal to everybody and everybody has a chance to win.

Just my opinion for what its worth. I respect people who like the game, and i hope you enjoy your rage ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hitting gold on mobile stores like Angry Birds, Little Wings, Flappy Bird, etc. is like winning the lotto. There are thousands of games that have everything these games have but hardly make it over 1,000 downloads. The mobile stores have been called "The largest store with the smallest windows". There is just no efficient way to search through what is on offer in them, so the vast majority of people never go more than a foot or two beneath the surface, when the store is actually as deep as the ocean. If your paid game can make it to the top 10, you have made it. But like I mentioned, there are hundreds of thousands of games all pushing and shoving for those 10 slots.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Gunner wrote:I found this

http://kotaku.com/i-am-sorry-flappy-bir ... Socialflow

try read the comments
Interesting, but there is no way he is making $10,000 a day off ads. To make that much, he would need to be in the billions of downloads by now (a place no game has ever been). You make essentially pocket change off of every thousand ad views, and the mobile store takes a cut of that. Some people in the hundreds of thousands of downloads have released that they make maybe $2 or $3 a day on ads. So scale that up a few times to be in the range of 50 million, and he is maybe maybe $500 - $750 a day off of it. Not bad, but nowhere near $10,000 a day lol.

As far as the actual issue, the graphics are highly inspired by Mario, and maybe even traced, but there are definitely differences. They are not copy'n'pastes like some people are saying. But it is probably close enough that he should take them down.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

The $10k per day was absolutely a joke, it's just silly. The numbers are probably randomly generated by nasty medias that want views on their sites. I also remember when vtinho hosted his game on some flash gaming site he got some really few amount of cash by ads, and he already got like 4k something plays on his game (correct me).

If I were that guy, I would consider keep going.. I agree with you, indeed, the graphics got inspired by mario in a lot of ways, but the game isn't a mushroom-eating game. Just thinking if this game isn't famous and don't have this much of downloads, maybe no one would point that little thing out. I have hit that lottery and I don't want to press that button out.

But frankly, some of us are probably just jealous of that lottery hit. It could be even me.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

People can be utterly vicious towards game developers. While I admit that maybe he was a bit soft-skinned to be a big-name developer, Phil Fish is a prime example of someone who got the pure, unfiltered filth of the gaming Internet aimed squarely at him, and it broke him down. For example, he received multiple death threats simply because his game (Fez) was taking longer than expected. He finally quit the game industry shortly after announcing Fez 2, and honestly, I can't blame him too much. When gamers see something that they don't like, they tend to be extremely vocal and mean. I am sure the Flappy Bird dev never thought he would get more than a thousand downloads and expected his game to die an anonymous death, exactly how it would have lived. But it hit the lotto and suddenly becomes one of the biggest games in all mobile stores. If he could have anticipated that, I am sure he would have made more unique graphics. But since players see it as being a rip-off, they are going to let him know...constantly....through all forms of social media. He is finally caving, I am sure, just to go back to a normal life.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Gunner wrote:The $10k per day was absolutely a joke, it's just silly. The numbers are probably randomly generated by nasty medias that want views on their sites. I also remember when vtinho hosted his game on some flash gaming site he got some really few amount of cash by ads, and he already got like 4k something plays on his game (correct me).
Yeah i got 4k plays on Kongregate and i have 3.09$ to cash in... In Gamejolt I have 4$ to cash in with something close than 4-5k. But i could live easily with 20-30$ / day no problem :lol:

I actually never saw it as a mario copy... Why doesn't he just go back to source code and edit the sprites ? People would play it even with one-color pipes and a bird taken out of the internet.
Jackolantern wrote:People can be utterly vicious towards game developers. While I admit that maybe he was a bit soft-skinned to be a big-name developer, Phil Fish is a prime example of someone who got the pure, unfiltered filth of the gaming Internet aimed squarely at him, and it broke him down. For example, he received multiple death threats simply because his game (Fez) was taking longer than expected. He finally quit the game industry shortly after announcing Fez 2, and honestly, I can't blame him too much. When gamers see something that they don't like, they tend to be extremely vocal and mean. I am sure the Flappy Bird dev never thought he would get more than a thousand downloads and expected his game to die an anonymous death, exactly how it would have lived. But it hit the lotto and suddenly becomes one of the biggest games in all mobile stores. If he could have anticipated that, I am sure he would have made more unique graphics. But since players see it as being a rip-off, they are going to let him know...constantly....through all forms of social media. He is finally caving, I am sure, just to go back to a normal life.
Well i believe that not every gamer is like that. And that recreation of a gamer is not the gamer part, is the person. Those stupid people are mentally retarded and i hate people like that. SENDING A LIFE THREAT TO A GAME DEVELOPER BECAUSE IT'S TAKING TOO MUCH TIME? What the hell is wrong with this world... If i had nukes i would start a freaking war to wipe out this species... there are few, very few good human beings, those deserve everything this world has to offer them, but the crappy ones.. geez die already! It makes me sick.

Sorry about that i had to blow off some steam.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

the top google earner is making $10k a day. That is the top earner with multiple sites, videos, ect.. No way one game can do it off ads alone.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Obviously most gamers aren't like that, but it would take an awful lot of support and "Hang in there!!" messages to balance-out a single death threat. Basically, even if it is just 5 - 10% that blow-up on the developer, those are the ones you are going to notice, and those are the ones that the media is going to pick-up on.

Return to “Off-Topic”