HighSchool

Keep it clean but fun.
Last Known Hero

HighSchool

Post by Last Known Hero »

Well, I'm back to school as of Tuesday (haven't had much time to be posting here) but I got my courses straightened out. I start off with a little University level math, then go to a World Religions class (No discussion on that) eat my tastey lunch then back to class taking Art: History of art and Personal Art, then finish it off with my Intro to Computer Programming class :)

I'm mostly excited about the programming class (I like my other classes but not for the learning part ;) ). We are starting off with learning Turing (old programming language) but I'm bored because, even though I don't program, I've seen it enough on MMOMaker and here that I know some of the foundations for coding and how things look. Today my teacher was telling us all the basic commands but I started typing them and testing them before he was done talking so I think I got some brownie points lol. But once we are strong with Turing we are moving on to Java or another popular language :D

This semester will be rather easy for me so I should be able to be here more once I get my sleep in check. Next semester I won't be here as much because I have Fitness (easy class) grade 12 chemestry and biology and University level English. By the way I'm in grade 11, so the grade 12 courses are a little ahead of me it seems. My strong points for school are the sciences and maths though so I should be ok!

My favorite class through my HS career has been my grade 9 gym class, I shared the same gym with the grade 9 and 12 girls fitness classes so I had a blasty blast.

Tell me what your favorite *classes* for Highschool were or are. If you are attending, what classes are you taking now? Any funny stories that happened to you or to one of your friends?
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: HighSchool

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

The greatest yet sad one for me is back in 96'. I went to a small school in Missouri. We had 24 people in my class, like my entire junior class! 220 in th whole high school. Anyways we only had 12 PCs and so the Computer teacher chose people to be in computers 2. She didn't choose me so when I asked her why she said "You are not computer inclined, you will never do well in the computer field and you should stick to something you can handle"...!!!! Yeah made me mad and even madder now that I missed out on some of that knowledge that I had to make up for later.
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

I'm in my third week of highschool (9th grade) and love it so far. We are on a block schedule which means one day we have our even numbered classes, and another we have odd numbered classes. Today was even, so tomorrow is odd and Tuesday (we have Monday off) is and even day, and so on.

My classes are (in this order)
1) French
2) Algebra
3) Health/World Geography (Health first semester, the other second semester)
4) P.E.
5) Music Appreciation (this is what I get for moving from AZ to CA)
6) English
My favorite class through my HS career has been my grade 9 gym class, I shared the same gym with the grade 9 and 12 girls fitness classes so I had a blasty blast.
Oh man, today all the chearleaders did a big parade type of thing. Gotta love short skirts :)
jpoisson

Post by jpoisson »

TUring is a fun language if you get into it... You may want to looking into Compsci.ca it is a programming web community and well they have the only turing community there too.

My fav classes what 5 years of compsci courses and my grade 10 history when we talked about castration and the jews :) i had a lot of laughs in that class. Honestly Turing is very basic but it is also very powerful if used properly. Back in my old high school we build our entire library catelog system and our student identification systems for the library in Turing... man was that a fun 3 year project.
Laguages:
PHP, MYSQL, (X)HTML, HTML5, JQuery, CSS 3.0,
C, C#, C++, Python, Pascal, Perl, Ruby, Turing

Software:
Adobe MC CS4, Visual Studio 2008, Notepad++,
NetBeans IDE, WAMPSERVER

Browsers:
Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome
(Always have latest patches for browsers.)

Free time:
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

You guys are lucky, I got a typewriter to play with. I didn't touch a computer till I was almost 30, 37 now. I had no teaching. Then I just had to learn about how a computer works, Some. I am all self taught. My first computer was a 2k$ piece of crap laptop. It had Windows ME. I still have it.
Last Known Hero

Sakar wrote:
Oh man, today all the chearleaders did a big parade type of thing. Gotta love short skirts :)
I go to a HS with a uniform policy so they dont get to wear what they want. It's better this way IMO, the girls wear even 'nicer' clothing on the last friday of every month (dress down day). The the whole gym class thing, they couldnt wear skirts for PE, so the uber short short booty shorts were just awesooooome.
Power3DArt

D3luxe

Post by D3luxe »

I actually just graduated high school in the spring, and I have to say...College is 18723981x better.

Anyway, my favorite class in high school was the Graphic Design classes I took..The teacher loved me, and since I was doing photoshop and illustrator long before those classes (the two main programs they used), I could pretty much do what I wanted in the class. It was pretty awesome.

My #2 class would probably be the Small Engines class I took. The teacher was fucking awesome, and I love getting my hands dirty tearing apart a project. I ride motocross and crotch-rockets, so the experience was invaluable in teaching me how to keep all my toys in top shape.

Other than that, high school pretty much blew. Math/science/social studies/english just can't hold my attention if someone held a gun to my head. I passed them with absolutely no problems of course, but it was just so much better doing what I love in the art field and messing with engines.

That's probably why I'm at an art school now. :D
Adobe Photoshop CS4/Illustrator CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
3DS Max & Maya
PC Spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.8ghz)
8gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
1gb nVidia GTX275
2TB SATA HD
Windows 7 RTM
Last Known Hero

Oh that's pretty cool! Our school just won 5 million dollars to go to an add-on for it, we won the cleanest school for LDSCB (the school board). We won it last year and they already have the changes planned and ready for during this year to build an extension, one extension being an automotive class. Would have been nice to have that class before I decided to do 3D art instead of being a auto mechanic like i was debating..
Hutch wrote:You guys are lucky, I got a typewriter to play with. I didn't touch a computer till I was almost 30, 37 now. I had no teaching. Then I just had to learn about how a computer works, Some. I am all self taught. My first computer was a 2k$ piece of crap laptop. It had Windows ME. I still have it.
Haha that sucks Hutch! I remember when I had my windows ME (although I was very young still) usd to play a 3D miniputt game and i remember how badly that still lagged haha!
Power3DArt

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I would have rather had the typerwriter, then the computers we had in school...I remember when I was in school, we had those ugly Apple Computers, you know the one's with the green writing on a black screen, that had the 5 1/4" disks. LOL! When I transfered High schools, we had the old mac's and not much else. The PC's were the teachers, and not a lot of people were aloud on them.

On the topic: I liked my art class, even though I really didn't need it, but it was fun. Then I transfered High Schools again, to Arkansas, and the HS population there was like 500, and they complained it was crowded. I told them to go to my old one in Colorado, where the pop was 2000, and only supposed to hold 1000...haha...

Last Known Hero

SpiritWebb wrote:I told them to go to my old one in Colorado, where the pop was 2000, and only supposed to hold 1000...haha...
Wow sounds exactly like my school! But like I said, we are getting an extension put on.
Power3DArt

Return to “Off-Topic”