Website Hosting

Keep it clean but fun.
Last Known Hero

Website Hosting

Post by Last Known Hero »

Hey everyone,

After I finish my freelance job up, I will be taking the step to get my website up and hosted, to hopefully achieve more freelance jobs.

I was looking into getting Host Gator (since I've heard so much bad stuff about go-daddy) and the 'Hatchling' Plan says:
1 Domain allowed, now, I only want one website (my business/portfolio one), but it has the home page labeled as 'blah-blah.com/home.html' and the art is labeled as 'blah-blah.com/art.html', and so on. Does 1 domain mean I can only have one page, or does it mean I can only host my one website, with as many pages as I want?

My website was built in javascript.. the website says that it supports: CGI, Fast CGI, PHP 5, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Python, SSI. Does that mean I would have to build a new site in a whole new language??
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Jackolantern

Re: Website Hosting

Post by Jackolantern »

One domain will work fine for you. You can even have multiple sites/applications on one domain, but you would have to have them something like "app1.singledomain.com" or "singledomain.com/app2". Either way, a domain will be fine for you. You can have as many pages as you need (or as many as your host will hold, which is usually in the thousands even for small hosting plans) on one domain.

Javascript does not need to be supported by your host, because it is a client-side technology. JS is the same as HTML as far as your host is concerned. They list CGI, PHP, Ruby and the others because those are server-side, and they must have the appropriate interpreters/engines to run code for those. All hosts support Javascript, though. Some may announce that they do support it just for another feature bullet-point, but that is just marketing because it requires no host support.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Chris

Post by Chris »

One domain means you are only allowed to point one domain to the server. How much is that hosting package? If you're paying money to only be able to use one domain I think that's a bit of a rip off.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

yep, price is important, now days you can get "unlimited" everything for few bucks a month.
Last Known Hero

It's $4.95 a month, with the discount they have, I get 20% off, so including my domain it would come to $81.72 for a year.

I also checked into acting as my own host through having a dedicated computer, does this route use my ISP as the server? So if the bandwidth goes over, I would be getting charged extra by Sympatico?

So far, if the bandwidth acts against my Bell then I might as well go with unlimited bandwidth with HostGator, who knows how much traffic I'll get with it. I could get 2 people or 200 000 for all I know.
Power3DArt

Chris

Post by Chris »

Start off with something basic and upgrade if you need it. Personally I'd use a home server if I had the chance. I'm not sure how your ISP is set up so maybe it would be better to avoid any extra charges. There are better prices than what you'd be paying with hostgator.

I have a reseller account with reseller panel. This allows me to resell hosting to myself. The prices are already cheap. And then I still get like 10% back. It's not much, but the cheaper the better right.

http://www.resellerspanel.com/shared-web-hosting/

With the basic plan, you can link up to 3 domains. And it comes with everything you need, as well as a very straight forward and easy to use control panel.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I am still an advocate against home-hosting unless you are an advanced Linux user with Apache hosting know-how. There are just too many security concerns for someone to do it while learning on the way.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i agree and it is just too cheap to pay for hosting that is 99.9% uptime. You server will use a few dollars in electricity a month anyways. Not counting maintenance, internet bill and bandwidth you will be using. You are paying for all this plus protection from hacking, good tools, ect...
Last Known Hero

Ok, so whats the difference between HostGator's hosting plans, and this reseller, I know there are some obvious ones like cost, and features. But what's the difference between reseller and a HostGator host?

The reseller seems to be a smash hit for me, it's got everything I need it to do (directories with passwords for clients to download off of my server for their models), but it doesn't tell me my bandwidth limit (which I'm nervous about).

I'm not sure what to go with, I do really like the cheaper option (other than no bandwidth specifications).

*edit** Traffic is their word for the bandwidth, nevermind :P
Power3DArt

Chris

Post by Chris »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:i agree and it is just too cheap to pay for hosting that is 99.9% uptime. You server will use a few dollars in electricity a month anyways. Not counting maintenance, internet bill and bandwidth you will be using. You are paying for all this plus protection from hacking, good tools, ect...
Yeah, but when you have your server you can do absolutely anything you want with it. You can't compare having a home server to a basic hosting plan. You have to compare it to a high level VPS.

Return to “Off-Topic”