This guy is making TONS monthly from HTML5 games

Keep it clean but fun.

Re: This guy is making TONS monthly from HTML5 games

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Gunner wrote:Actually he doesn't get paid by a cut of ad revenue or per play, but simply the companies pay him upfront to host his games on their portals. Much like how investments are done. What I meant was the publishers were the one that monetized the game via ads etc. once they got the game. Generally he licenced his games non exclusively, meaning not just one publisher got it but many. If publishers want an exclusive license they will have to pay more.

Pretty much the same thing. Not sure if you have seen how much these companies give for games. Exclusive licenses are often just a few hundred dollars for a game. Even for a simple game that is going to end up being less than $1 an hour to develop it. For non-exclusive licenses that price goes way down but you can try to get it on multiple portals.

So really the same thing. No way he is making $80k+ a year doing this. I have known a ton of people who have tried doing this and the money is garbage. And I can only assume it is even worse now that mobile gaming is taking a huge chunk out of the casual game market. Game portals on the web have to be doing horrible these days.

I still believe he has to be doing some kind of pay-per-hour work in some way to be making those amounts. I also have a harder time believing his figures since he is selling products to do what he is doing. It comes off with a bit of a "Pay me $300 to learn how I make six-figures a year!" vibe. I would take it with a huge grain of salt. The issue with all things like this is that if it was that easy to do, he wouldn't be selling guides on how to do it. He would hire more people and do the work himself.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Gunner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am

OK you might be right about that. But here's his typical forum post on GameMaker forum for example. He always points things to HIS products, his "making $$$ this month" blog or "how to make money" book or his $100 custom GM javascript engine that even someone like me can build it myself (it basically fixes GM's dumb scaling problem on HTML5 export, THAT's all. And he calls it 'Mobility Engine'.)

Selling non-exclusive licenses has been much more profitable and reliable for me: I made ~$16,000 USD from HTML5 games in the last 3 months of 2017. The first quarter of 2018 has been even better. There's still a lot of money in the licensing market, but it's more competitive today than it was 5 years ago.

Source: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?t ... ost-274648

With that said, I assure you he does none of that pay per hour work or at least he doesn't advertise himself doing it. Just look at those posts on GM forum alone. He also posts on Construct forum for example to advertise sort of passively on his posts, making it seem like he's not advertising but goddammit HE IS.

I'm more concerned with what should I do on my life with my career than about this guy, though :roll:. In the end people do shady crap like this all the time for money
Gunner

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Making 16k in 3 months is not exciting to me at all. Not sure why he is bragging about that. No medical, no vacation, no security, just make 1k a week for working your booty off in your underwear. No thanks.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Chromeozone » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Sounds like a lot of you are salty.

A man, is managing to live his life, the way he wants and is good at what he does. Remind me, how many failed projects have come to Indie Resource? Halls, how many times have you "started" and ended a project?

This guy is committed to working on games, and doing the licensing of his products. None of us, not even me can comment on why this is shady.

Stop moaning about it, and be happy that someone is "quote on quote" taking a risk (refering to Halls post No medical, no vacation, no security etc)
Chromeozone

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Wow. Not sure why you started by pointing the finger at us. No one here is mad about him making games. What did annoy me a bit about him is the hokey, infomercial-like "Buy my guide now to learn how to make a 6-figure income making HTML5 games" thing. And maybe if he can (which I have serious doubts about), I know most people who buy his guide won't be able to because I have seen so many people try to do this same thing. Literally dozens, including some amazing game devs. There isn't much money in it. That is why it seems shady. If he wanted to make a guide on how to license games for a living, fine. But it becomes shady when you start reporting how much money you are making. Really, my scam alarm starts going off anytime someone is selling a guide to do what they do and they keep talking about how much money they make. Because, as I have said before, if it was that easy and there was that much money out there to make, he would hire people and meet that demand himself. Not sell a book for others to do it.

I think you have missed the point of this conversation entirely if you think we are upset that he is making games for a living.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Postby a_bertrand » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am

Beside 16K in 3 months may seems a lot, but I can tell you it's really on the very very low salary ranks here. And yes I do a lot more than that...

Also, that's what he's saying, you have no proofs he's telling the truth (nor I do see why he should give us his numbers).

I would also point out that all his numbers pretty much seems random to me. Check out:
During December 2016 I earned $5,165 USD solely online ($379,670 total), down $5,262 from last month. My average income over the past 12 months is $10,767 so this was a significantly below average month.

In total, I earned $129,241 USD online in 2016.

And then same for 2017:
During Oct/Nov/Dec 2017 I earned $17,005 USD solely online ($428,040 total), up $8,873 from last quarter.

In total, I earned $48,370 USD online in 2017.

So.... something doesn't work here. Either he went from 30K per quarter in 2016 to 16$ per quarter... or even less in 2017 (which means his market is falling apart). Or those numbers are all random (which I guess).

Also please check out the games he made:
https://www.truevalhalla.com/blog/buy-h ... s#noopener noreferrer/26/

Seems all stuff you can do in a couple of days or less. Not good, nothing you will hook people with.

That's just to point out that you may not trust all what you can read online ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand
New Worlds Engine creator

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Chromeozone wrote:Sounds like a lot of you are salty.

A man, is managing to live his life, the way he wants and is good at what he does. Remind me, how many failed projects have come to Indie Resource? Halls, how many times have you "started" and ended a project?

This guy is committed to working on games, and doing the licensing of his products. None of us, not even me can comment on why this is shady.

Stop moaning about it, and be happy that someone is "quote on quote" taking a risk (refering to Halls post No medical, no vacation, no security etc)

Yikes sounds like someone needs a tampon. Agree with Jack. You are off base on that comment and I have no interest in going into the mud with you.

Anyways back to the conversation. I hope he is happy doing it and hope it is all true. If it is then kudos to him. For me I am not a fan of the "Buy my method to make you money" and without significant proof or results I can't drink the koolaid. I can't but wonder if the truevalhalla is a jab at me or just some coincidence. Like I said however, I hope it is all true and he is able to make money doing this.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to Off-Topic