HP Destiny (again)

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
62896dude

HP Destiny (again)

Post by 62896dude »

Update(5/2/18):
Pre-Alpha has been released! Sign up and test stuff out here: http://www.hpdestiny.com
Any and all feedback is welcome!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello!

I've been gone for a long time (with the occasional pop-back-in). Over the last 6 or 7 years, I've grown a lot as a programmer, but one thing has always haunted me in the back of my mind. A few of you may or may not remember that I worked on (and came painfully close to finishing) a text-based Harry Potter-based MMORPG called HP Destiny. It has always lingered over me that I never finished it, and while I could pick up where I left off, I know that it was written on very shaky code. So I've started from scratch, and with a lot more confidence. In two days of work I've built what would have previously taken me a month, and I figured there would be no better place to document this progress than here. I'm going into my senior year of college, so I won't pretend that I'll be able to put 100% into this all the time, but I'll work whenever my schedule permits.

TL;DR: Feels good to be back :)

Home/Login:
HPDSS1.png
Landing Page:
HPDSS2.png
Last edited by 62896dude on Wed May 02, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: HP Destiny (again)

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Welcome back! and excited to see this progress
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Welcome back! and excited to see this progress
Thanks! Glad to be back :)
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

It's more of a mock, but here's a general idea of what the battle system will look like:
HPDSS3.png
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh man, I was just thinking about this game the other day (I may have mentioned it in a post on here even if I am thinking clearly). It was coming along really awesomely. I also just watched Fantastic Beasts this weekend for the first time which got me feeling the HP buzz again (I heard there are going to be a couple more as well over the next few years). Best hopes for the future!

EDIT: Here was the post where I mentioned it, just a few posts down from your own. You had not been forgotten!

EDIT2: And holy crap! January of 2017 was "just the other day". Time is really moving too quickly, man.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

I absolutely loved that movie! I'll always love the main series for obvious reasons, but it almost felt like a relief to be able to watch a "Harry Potter" movie without it having to live up to any tangible expectation (the books). I'm hoping to incorporate some of the beasts into the game when it's further developed.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That would be awesome! Also, and I am not sure if this struck you or not, but to me it was very noticeable how Fantastic Beasts had gotten darker and more mature than the original HP series. I suppose WB knows that their core audience is growing up and aren't kids anymore. Particularly the wizard execution scene. Maybe a touch of this more modern feeling would be nice in the game too if it can fit in anywhere.
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

Absolutely! My thought was having the player go through school, and then once they graduate they'll go head-first into those darker themes (they'll obviously have to face them in school, but once they graduate they can more freely explore it). I'm still deciding how much narrative I want in this game, so that'll be a driving force as well.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I am definitely looking forward to it :)

By the way, what technologies were you considering to use for it?
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

I was planning on still sticking with the usual suspects: PHP, AJAX, JS; structurally I had planned on keeping the game similar to what it was, but as far as the visuals/layouts/actual gameplay goes it needed a big overhaul. I'm always open to other ideas for technologies to use though :)

Most of the work I've been doing in the last week or so has been laying a foundation, so most aspects are subject to change.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”