ASCII Adventures!

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
KHill

ASCII Adventures!

Post by KHill »

After months of toying with ideas, I finally decided on a game to start :D

ASCII Adventures is a MUD-style game (minus the multiuser for now :P). It's all played in your browser, with a fake command terminal to boot. I'll post screenshots in the morning, but after some toying around I finally did get the "terminal" up and running. Looking forward to sharing progress as it continues, and if any of you are into making ASCII art, feel free to shoot me a message :)

8/17/16 - Update:

After prototyping around and making sure I can do everything that I want to, I've put together a very fundamental "mission statement", if you will, to help visualize what my goal is:

My initial thought was have an awesome game that is contained to the console, giving the authentic feel of an old-school MUD. But it's 2016, so why not make it new-school? My idea is to still have the console be where all commands are typed and all that fun stuff, but all of the monsters and environment and surroundings will be in no way tied to the console. This way, I can paint an environment behind the console, have enemies interact with the console, push against the caret as you try to type, etc. It'll definitely push me and what I know how to program, but I firmly believe that in computer science, if you aren't struggling, you aren't learning. And in a field like this, when you don't learn, you get left behind.

TLDR: The console is still for commands, but the rest of the page is for the world and story to come alive.
Last edited by KHill on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KHill

Re: ASCII Adventures!

Post by KHill »

Here's my first screenshot!

It's just showing that each input moves the line before it up the console, with "eerily friendly devil" being the only command that does anything so far :P

Any feedback on stylistic changes to make is welcome! This is more prototyping than anything, but it's a lot of fun to work with!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very cool. You can use Nodejs and socket.io for a perfect multiplayer.
KHill

Post by KHill »

You can use Nodejs and socket.io for a perfect multiplayer.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it once I'm ready to expand it to multiplayer.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Let me know when you are and I can throw up some examples.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! There have been a couple of games in this vein, where the ASCII graphics actually draw out pictures (versus the old style of ASCII games where each symbol is used to represent something in an overhead map-style view) and they have actually done very well. This type of game could get hot :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”