Random Dungeons RPG [Dev Doc]

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Sharlenwar

Random Dungeons RPG [Dev Doc]

Post by Sharlenwar »

Preface
Okay, so this is the place I put this I hope. Posting here to give me motivation to carry the project through. Maybe posting up here where this might get some views will keep me moving forward. Now, I've played games ever since I was a kid, up until today even. So this game will have mechanic in it that I'd like to play with and ideas that I see lacking in a lot of the games that I play. No doubt there might be a game that is this exact game, so no idea. This is all a project for me to do and for a fun game of my own making to play, in my opinion. Here you'll find the random bits that go through my mind as this document gets fleshed out. Enjoy!

Concept
So, within the game you will start in a [village/town/city] and there will be a region that you'll be able to explore. Within this region you'll find various key points [ruins/caves/catacombs/etc]. At these key points you'll find entrances. These entrances will take you into randomly generated dungeons where you'll be able to collect materials. The dungeon is a one-way entrance, so to get out is achieved via death or the portal at the end. Death will result in penalties, where over the course of multiple deaths you can accumulate penalties. In [village/town/city] would be something to recover from the penalties. In the region you will be able to harvest materials. You'll be able to use the materials collected all over for crafting. There will be some abilities that will be available to the character, stats, skills, even a sort of level system. There will be quest givers in the [village/town/city], thus to direct you around to different parts of the region, to different key points, and within the dungeons.

Technology
  • Leadwerks Game Engine
  • Lua Scripting (Built-in to LGE)
Perspective
I'm not sure if I'm going for a first-person experience, or a sort of 3rd-person view from above. I'm leaning towards a first-person experience because I believe it would be a bit more fun building the game environment with all of that in mind.

Art Assets
The bane of my game development existence. Art assets. Any project needs special art assets. Stock assets only get you so far. I have a few purchased texture CD's from back in the day. So I just have to find those and I'll have some stuff to use. I might have some terrain stuff to use as well on my old external HDD. Maybe even some old art assets that could be used. The style of the art if I could get it made custom, would be of course your medieval style of RPG. Not necessarily fantasy, but definitely would like it fresh, with a sort of cartoonish look.
  • characters (with animations)
  • weapons (all different kinds, melee, bows, crossbows, guns)
  • armour pieces (would like them visible on the character model)
  • dungeon set prefabs (using LGE to build corridors, rooms, chambers, etc.)
  • heightmap for terrain system
  • terrain textures
  • foliage/plants
  • trees
  • rocks/boulders/meteors (with craters)
  • characters (need them fully rigged and animated to LGE specs)
Music & Sounds
Definitely going to want some music for ambience. Will need some really long tracks (about 30min long) with some great epic music. I might have some sound CD's kicking around with a bunch I could potentially use. Some more on my old HDD, maybe.

Notepad
- weapons - various weapons, one-handed, two-handed, dual-wield, staves, piercing, blunt
- throwables - knives, stars (shuriken's, etc), bombs
- potions - done through crafting system (herbalism?)
- equipment - cloth, leather, chain, plate
- level system - not sure why, maybe for trait points
- trait/attribute system - definitely want to play around with typical RPG ideas here, and unlock traits that allow you to use weapon types, armour types, etc.
- skill system - activities you do in the game will affect various skills from combat to crafting
- interactable world objects - harvesting nodes, crafting stations, NPC's
- crafting/harvesting - you'll be able to go around and harvest materials from nodes around the region, materials will also come as loot, to be used in crafting for upgrading equipment, etc.
- mission system - this would allow for direction for the player (optional)

Conclusion
Last edited by Sharlenwar on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Re: Random Dungeons RPG [Dev Doc]

Post by Sharlenwar »

[reserved]

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

[reserved]

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

oh i stole the first non reserved spot..Wahoo! ;) I have the Leadworks plugin so I wanna play when you get something to show.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”