(Another) Terraria Clone

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Baseball435

(Another) Terraria Clone

Post by Baseball435 »

Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am developing yet another Terraria-clone (currently unnamed until I come up with a specific direction) that I am developing using LibGDX and Java. Unlike most other clones, my main focus for the game is to optimize it as much as possible to allow it to be played smoothly on mobile (Android) devices. Because of this my sole focus is to design complex algorithms to keep the amount of resources and memory being used as low as possible. For example, the two big things that I am currently focusing on optimizing are the world management system and the lighting system. Right now I have the world management system and the dynamic light system pretty much done. I am able to have a world with 1,620,000 tiles managed efficiently and ran on an Android device at a stable 30 fps. I have not tried exceeding that size world although I will in the future to see what most devices can handle. I also developed my own physics system which efficiently handles collisions for all entities in the world.

Current Features
  • Basic random world generation using Perlin Noise
  • World Management System
  • Physics System
  • Dynamic Lighting System
  • Saving and Loading Worlds
  • Basic Block Breaking System (currently being worked on)
Current Focus
  • Redesigning the algorithm that produces light on the top of the world to make it more realistic. Currently it does not work well once blocks are removed or placed.
I have been working on this for a little over a week and as I have been developing it I have also been live streaming it on LiveCoding.tv. You can watch my streams here. Be sure to sign up and follow me to get notified when I am streaming. I stream everyday for a few hours a day!

Here are some images of the game (The newest images are the top images):

As I continue development I will continue posting images and progress updates here. Let me know what you guys think!
SpiritWebb

Re: (Another) Terraria Clone

Post by SpiritWebb »

Looks awesome so far B.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow very awesome! Yeah Terraria is a MAJOR resource hog.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

SpiritWebb wrote:Looks awesome so far B.
Thanks! :D
hallsofvallhalla wrote:Wow very awesome! Yeah Terraria is a MAJOR resource hog.
Yes it definitely is. That's why optimization and carefulness of how I design the architecture of the application is so important.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”