My small draft of a small game world: Driftwurld

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Callan S.

Re: My small draft of a small game world: Driftwurld

Post by Callan S. »

Okay, I have transfered over to a new free host, who as far as I can see have no issue with browser games in their TOS (so for other people wanting to be free while developing, probably a good idea - has a nice control panel interface as well).

The new address is
http://driftwurld.freehostingcloud.com

I've edited the address in the first post of this thread as well.

Also I would like to say I think I've figured out the full cycle of the game. This will be a game that runs in rounds, like I see alot of other browser games. Basically there's a guy called the King of the Hell Drift, basically burning, looting and destroying (including your stuff) with superior firepower. Each round/cycle of the game involves accruing money and power and seeing if you can defeat the King of Hells massively powerful army. If nobody can, then bang, the King wins and everyone is reset to starter player levels as his minions destroy and loot everything! Apocalypse! BUT, your character can store, in hidden places, stockpiles of his previous money. So you don't lose any of your money. But you only get it back as you become more powerful by playing. Also any unique weapons I put in will also be stockpiled and eventually retrieved.
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Hey Callan I found a small bug in your game..when you harvest and a raptor attacks you there is no button to take any action after the battle ends, the only way would be to refresh the page and keep harvesting.

You gather enough crops to earn 20 trade points.
You have 269 of the 250 needed to buy the omega frag grenade!
Omega Frag Grenades : 0

You have harvested enough crops to trade for a single omega frag grenade!
You make the trade with the local shady mercenary, looking to trade food supplies for this grenade!
You have 1 omega frag grenades (of the 3 you can gain by trading crops!).

You went the wrong way!
After carefully preparing where you'll fight, you pull the pin on a grenade and lob it at the raptor!
Roll : 12. The grenade hits dead on! Damage inflicted: 10 Omega Damage
The raptor was hurt badly in the blast and runs away, bloody and bleeding!
You are free to harvest in peace! Congrats!
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Oh, thanks Alexander, I'll have to look into that! Bit clumsy of me! Still learning :)

Edit:

Okay, I'm running a testrun account and I deliberately failed at the reap game, heading straight into a raptor - it still gave me a link (with damn written on it), which refreshed the page and gave me other options?

I'm not sure when the error is specifically occuring, Alexander?
alexander19

Post by alexander19 »

Tried it again and I see it no longer appears, though this time I've stumbled upon the raptors exactly when I bought the omega grenades from the shady guy.
If I'll see the problem again I'll take a screen.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

alexander19 wrote:If I'll see the problem again I'll take a screen.
Thanks, man!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Just wanted to say nice work on expanding it and keeping it going. Very Kewl.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks, Halls, that means alot! :)

I've sort of been building a series of individual games that are connected together, rather than building one huge one from the get go. It's helped me slowly add to what I've built so far, I think :)
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Plugging along on the next module of Driftwurld, pretty much done except for playtesting it.

The idea in it is that armour repairs are expensive, but you can hunt supernatural creatures called Rage Beetles, who have armour scaled bodies. If you kill one, you can take the scales and use them for armour repair. But it involved owning an ATV and racing along, firing at the Rage Beetle with a rail gun as you race ahead of it's snapping jaws (they can move fast and they live in areas where there isn't alot of open ground to get away from them).

With this module, the player has just scrapped his way out of being a dirt farmer and now actually has a fair bit of power and the capacity to start doing his own thing in life without the costs of it being prohibative.

The next module, I think, will be slaying drift monsters for cash, then after that maybe a world map where you can start investing that money in things or explore around for cash.

Must code in the Drift Kings attacks at some point, though. He's the main antagonist, after all!
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I'm looking at having a world map to navigate around for the next segment of Driftwurld.

I'm thinking of using a mechanic like urban dead, in that the king of the hell drift (main badguy) has shrines where you can choose to become his minion and attack other players. If you defeat the other players, the magic infects them and they become minions as well. The magic is curable, but some players may decide to become die hard minions of the hell drift king!

Probably the advantages of being a minion will be being able to just be a combat monster and attack alot without juggling resources or hiding, much like a zombie. While being a free player means running, hiding and juggling finite resources.
Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

Im a dedicated player to driftwurld now again :) i thought you had stopped because i hadnt seen that new link forever...

I freaking love this game.

Anyway, you should set up a forum or something :D

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”