Combat Calamity - A modern touch of the classic 'Rogue' game

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Gunner

Combat Calamity - A modern touch of the classic 'Rogue' game

Post by Gunner »

Hey guys, I'm working on a new project. It's called Combat Calamity, and it's based on the classic 'Rogue' game of the 1980s or perhaps Nethack if you know it. The goal is to make a modern touch including couch and controller support and everything, but still retaining the old hardcore gameplay. Also to stop misleading people as the genre "rogue-like" gets used way more often that it should be, as those games that do not have turn based, grid based dungeon crawling game should be called a rogue-lite instead :P

I'm really focusing towards controller support and all that awesome thing, since the old games are just.. well... ascii art/text based game playable with only kb and mouse..
It will have a modern touch of RPG-like system, skill trees, stats, inventory, etc.

Some of the early screenshots

What are your first impressions to the GUI? Is it confusing? Not self explanatory? Whatever it is just post below, I'd love your take on these. Thanks, and stay tuned!!
Kesstryl

Re: Combat Calamity - A modern touch of the classic 'Rogue'

Post by Kesstryl »

I really like it, looking great so far!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very nice.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice presentation!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks :D I'll be posting more updates, as I just added an extra playable character/class to choose from, while dealing with this bullcrap Steam API.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I can't offer much assistance with the Steam API, but I do know there are a ton of tutorials and resources out there on it if you need help with it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Jackolantern wrote:I can't offer much assistance with the Steam API, but I do know there are a ton of tutorials and resources out there on it if you need help with it.
Yeah, tutorials were quite plenty, however they're a little too advanced... They are not simply tutorials for... Regular people, I guess? They forgot not only programmers do game development lol.. I even see people complaining in they Youtube comments that publishing to Steam might need a little while if you don't have any experience, and that they don't understand anything

But yeah if just publishing to Steam is complicated then I don't know how you managed to make a game in the first place.. :D

UPDATE

New character
Totally redo the tiles of the walls, grounds, etc.
Added cool sound effects, ambient sounds, etc!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

What are you building this with?
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

gamemaker :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Oh nice. I have it with all the add ons but havent used it yet. Used it like 10 years ago when it was VB or something.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”