PHP Game Tutorial (2018)

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.

Re: PHP Game Tutorial (2018)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am

I say go with Isogenic. Its a great engine. It has been a long while since I picked it up so he might have added a lot more tutorials and documentation. The networking he built is amazing so if you can use it it is hands down a better option with multiplayer.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Sharlenwar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Yeah, and that's part of the plan for when I dive into things further. I added a download link for this project, for those who want to peek inside. I'll update you folks when I have something substantial.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 pm

I would say it comes down to what kind of multiplayer features you are looking to implement. If you want real-time multiplayer where players can see each other moving around the game screen, have to dodge projectiles and generally if the game has real-time combat mechanics, go with Isogenic. It has some very advanced multiplayer for handling real-time networking.

However, if you are wanting to work with PHP (Isogenic would be 100% node, so no PHP), have web-based components and generally make a PBBG then Isogenic is overkill. If you want something in-between and want something more like a traditional MMO with combat similar to UO, Everquest, etc., then I would say go with Phaser and node, making your own network code. Mostly because you will be needing to tweak a ton of the network code to make the game easily scalable. Isogenic has a ton of advanced features like dead-reckoning built in. But for more traditional MMO networking that is going to be overkill.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Project Showoff Tier I