PHP Game Tutorial (2018)

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.

Re: PHP Game Tutorial (2018)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am

I say go with Isogenic. Its a great engine. It has been a long while since I picked it up so he might have added a lot more tutorials and documentation. The networking he built is amazing so if you can use it it is hands down a better option with multiplayer.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Sharlenwar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Yeah, and that's part of the plan for when I dive into things further. I added a download link for this project, for those who want to peek inside. I'll update you folks when I have something substantial.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 pm

I would say it comes down to what kind of multiplayer features you are looking to implement. If you want real-time multiplayer where players can see each other moving around the game screen, have to dodge projectiles and generally if the game has real-time combat mechanics, go with Isogenic. It has some very advanced multiplayer for handling real-time networking.

However, if you are wanting to work with PHP (Isogenic would be 100% node, so no PHP), have web-based components and generally make a PBBG then Isogenic is overkill. If you want something in-between and want something more like a traditional MMO with combat similar to UO, Everquest, etc., then I would say go with Phaser and node, making your own network code. Mostly because you will be needing to tweak a ton of the network code to make the game easily scalable. Isogenic has a ton of advanced features like dead-reckoning built in. But for more traditional MMO networking that is going to be overkill.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sharlenwar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info, great as always.

For those curious, I haven't abandoned this, just you know, that thing called RL. For me personally, making games is more of a hobby and probably most likely will remain as such. I'm making some headway, I've updated the older code I had from a project to more "current" code. This whole project is basically just a way for me to utilize my brain on something different and creative for a change.

I'm about where I left off in 2014 with this, I've had to re-teach myself some web and PHP coding. Plus I have to decipher what I've already done. I think I should have something substantial to show here soon. What soon means, well, I'll leave that up to all of you fine folks.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I am in a weird place. Really want to make something but not sure what or what engine to use so I get it. This has always been a hobby to me and most likely always will.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Postby Sharlenwar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:58 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I am in a weird place. Really want to make something but not sure what or what engine to use so I get it. This has always been a hobby to me and most likely always will.

Well Halls, from a nobody like me, my opinion would be to use an engine that you are most familiar with. I don't think it matters if it will be popular or anything. The reason I'm doing the project I'm doing, is just so I can brush off the dust on my coding brain cells. I have a dream game that we all have, our magnum opus, but it seems we never achieve it. So I say, build something that is going to be playable and represents the mechanics you expect to have in your real game. You've probably read this before, I know I have and with me writing it, it shows that maybe there is something there. I hopped on here because for the past week I've been working diligently on this project and it has brought some "clarity". I just want to know how to code in everything, and code well, so that I can tackle something interesting out there. Heck, my plan is to see this hobby create something interesting that people can take and rip apart for themselves. Same for yours, that way someone down the road will find it and potentially utilize it.

From what I see out there on the web, the games I've seen, it just seems everything has "stagnated". Now, others might disagree with my position, but to be honest, the games haven't changed since the 90's for me. Yeah, graphics, but when I built my gaming rig last December here, I was surprised to see that things haven't really changed much. There seems to be some new buzz words and technical terms for those smart folks, but in reality things are the same. Probably some security changes, but that is something that constantly changes. You'll always see some form of incrementalism, but anyways, that is all a complete digression. So back to the point of all this? Well, just make something that I can rip apart code wise. Make sure you comment the stinky bottom putty out of the code, because I'm a firm believer in comments. I've been trying to go through each iteration of my project and comment the crap out of it, that way if I ever walk away from it, and come back, then the knowledge is still there.

Not sure if you'll read all of this, but I'm glad you commented!

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Definitely read it all and agree 100%. I am honestly not trying to write a game for other people. More for what I want in a game.

its funny, now that I have the coding experience to build a game I have always wanted to I can't seem to come together on the idea and platform. I am looking at a lot of older engines like TMMOKIT, NetGORE, ect.. I am in the sim kick where i want to build a sim farm/Harvest Moon/Cook serve delicious/RPG. Hehehe
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Postby Sharlenwar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I am in the sim kick where i want to build a sim farm/Harvest Moon/Cook serve delicious/RPG. Hehehe

Right there, you have it. Now, what you could do, is create that with HTML5? This way people can play it through whatever device? Or how high-tech do you want to go? Do you care that people have smaller screened devices? As for myself, I personally always enjoy the projects you do and the code that we can see from it. Gives those n00bs like me a chance at understanding how to do things.

Anyways, thanks for the OT conversation and I'm continuing what I'm doing. I hope to post something decent up here soon, but again, that depends on my time.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Postby Jackolantern » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote: its funny, now that I have the coding experience to build a game I have always wanted to I can't seem to come together on the idea and platform.

This! So this! That is where I am at. I was just thinking about this the other day. Back when I first started in programming on the Apple IIe when I was 10 years old or so, all I knew were WHILE loops, IF/ELSE statements, GOTO and input/output statements. But I must have ripped-out about a dozen or so text-based adventure games with the latter ones being pretty sophisticated. I didn't know how to code graphics and wasn't aware of the idea of ASCII-based graphics yet so I used what I had to make games.

Flash forward decades and now I actually have the technical background to make almost anything I want. And now all I do is start a game, get a couple of weeks in and then figure out some way to convince myself I should work on something else. I almost wonder if I have too many options. Back when all I had were text outputs and IF statements, all I could make were text-based adventure games and I did it. Constantly. Now the world has opened-up, we have tools I would have dreamed about just 10 years ago (even node would be one of those dream tools, but there are many others including HTML5 game engines and WebSockets) and all I seem to do is stare and try to figure out that "perfect project idea". In reality what I need to do is come up with a "good enough project idea" and then work on it to make it the best it can be.

Sorry for the OT talk, but the conversation really hit close to home and I had to speak up! :ugeek:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sharlenwar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:28 pm

The OT topics is what I like Jack! There is insight to gain and thus, always appreciated.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

PreviousNext

Return to Project Showoff Tier I