HP Destiny (again)

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.

Re: HP Destiny (again)

Postby 62896dude » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 am

Simultaneously big and small update! Small because it only took a few hours to nail down, but big because I can reuse this on a lot of different pages, plus chat is an essential part of a game like this. (I tested other users using it at the same time and it works, it just isn't shown in this picture :P )

HPDSS9.png
HPDSS9.png (361.94 KiB) Viewed 164 times
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
62896dude

Postby Kesstryl » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:33 am

Chatting is always great. I really love your wand selection page though, it has that really old school game feel where these kinds of questions put the RP back into RPG, lol. I'm thinking of games like The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall where they had questions which you answered which created your character's backstory (unlike current TES games in which you have no clue who you are or why you were dropped into a dungeon when you begin). I really love that you are doing this as well!
Looking for Alpha Testers for my text based RPG Dragon Lord at http://rpg.sonyaireland.com

Kesstryl

Postby 62896dude » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Kesstryl wrote:I really love your wand selection page though, it has that really old school game feel where these kinds of questions put the RP back into RPG, lol. I'm thinking of games like The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall where they had questions which you answered which created your character's backstory (unlike current TES games in which you have no clue who you are or why you were dropped into a dungeon when you begin). I really love that you are doing this as well!

Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was going for there. It's easy to forget that one of the main goals here is to immerse the player in their own role-playing scenario. The game should only be a vessel for achieving that. Thanks for the support!
62896dude

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes I do love the questions! It reminds me a lot of the earlier Ultima games where you answered questions which is what set up your beginning skills. Definitely not bad company to be in!

On a side note, I just got back from doing some traveling (mentioned here) and had to stock my phone up with some entertainment. I decided to pack it up with some HP movies (namely The Prisoner of Azkhaban and the Deathly Hollows films) and have gotten back into a Harry Potter frame of mind, also with Fantastic Beasts added in which I saw recently. Can't wait to see more of this!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 62896dude » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 pm

Jackolantern wrote:I decided to pack it up with some HP movies (namely The Prisoner of Azkhaban and the Deathly Hollows films) and have gotten back into a Harry Potter frame of mind, also with Fantastic Beasts added in which I saw recently. Can't wait to see more of this!

Prisoner of Azkaban was a masterpiece of a movie; I didn't like it much when I first saw it, but looking back on it, the cinematography is incredible. Unfortunately this project will have to be on hold for about a week and a half while I get settled in to a new job and location, but once that happens I'll be good to go again!
62896dude

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:47 pm

It really was a great one. The time-traveling was so well-done and cleverly.

As for HP Destiny, don't let this time off let the game grow stale for you. Even if you can't do anything on it, try to look at your code at least once every other day and make notes of what you want to do when you come back. This will keep it fresh and prevent it from falling off. Breaks like this can kill game projects. I speak from extensive first-hand experience.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Postby Nexus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am

I literally came back on today because I was reminiscing about the old project and I'm super glad to see that you're continuing this. Looks beautiful! :D Lots of memories man.
Nexus

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 am

This really makes me want to start a new PBBG. Ugh I need some time management. Great job on everything, very inspirational!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby 62896dude » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Nexus, nice to see you again man! Hope everything is going well.

My two week break is finally over now that I've settled back into college. I'll get to work and have some more updates soon!
62896dude

Postby 62896dude » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm

I promise I haven't stopped working on this! Lots of back-end work that can't really be highlighted through screenshots. Here's Hogwarts to at least record some progress though. These are just some initial ideas for locations within Hogwarts (listed in the nav bar on the left), but let me know if there's any others you can think of that I'm missing!

HPDSS10.png
HPDSS10.png (456.19 KiB) Viewed 79 times
62896dude

PreviousNext

Return to Project Showoff Tier I