HP Destiny (again)

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.

Re: HP Destiny (again)

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:45 am

That is a good point. No one says that you have to accept every word of canon. As long as Harry doesn't become a Deatheater or something, I think most players would accept it. Probably.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 62896dude » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm

That was my thought as well :)

Here's a quick preview of Diagon Alley; any thoughts on more (or less) locations I should include here?

HPDSS5.png
HPDSS5.png (373.93 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
62896dude

Postby Kesstryl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm totally with Halls about hating frameworks. I suffer from that same thing. I like code that's simple enough for me to find the flow, and usually that means no framework. As for separating php from html, that can be done with a templating engine without a framework, like Smarty (there's a simple tutrial at this site for using Smarty http://buildingbrowsergames.com/2008/05/16/building-browsergames-setting-up-a-templating-system-php/. However, for something small that only you are going to work on, you don't have to separate the php from html because it's your code, and you are writing it in a way that's easiest for you to read and understand. In my personal small projects I tend to use a hybrid of sorts, with of a self made template in which I'll have a content div for the application pages, and it's only those content pages that might mix some html and php. It all depends on what is best for you. Frameworks and templating engines are mainly needed when more than one developer is working on a game because then everyone can know where to look for stuff. Someone who is purely a web site developer can work on the html without touching the php code, and a php programmer can work on the php code without worrying about breaking layouts and such.

I do need to get some framework training wheels at some point. I hear Codeigniter is the easiest to work with because it doesn't force specific ways to do things which can be good when using it with an already existing game, and you still need to piggy back on what your code is already doing without overly frameworking it to pieces. Frameworks will be a must if you plan to make web programming into a career because most jobs will use frameworks. Until then, as long as you get your current code, and it's getting the job done, well, enjoy the journey.
Kesstryl

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:25 pm

62896dude wrote:That was my thought as well :)

Here's a quick preview of Diagon Alley; any thoughts on more (or less) locations I should include here?

Nice! Of course there are the ones from the books and movies, but I would like to see what is further up the street and see some new and interesting places. Not really sure of any specific ideas at the moment though :P

And Kesstryl, CodeIgniter is definitely the easiest to pick up and learn or to retrofit into an existing, non-framework codebase. It is missing a ton of features of ones like Laravel, but Laravel is also a lot harder to learn and get the hang of. I would first check out CI, and when you feel comfortable with the way the MVC pattern works, move on to learn Laravel. It is the one framework that employers will expect you to know.
Jackolantern

Postby 62896dude » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:04 pm

An update featuring the Ministry of Magic! I'm hoping to use this as a hub for advancing from Hogwarts into the real world (i.e. if you want to become an Animagus, you can do so through the registry)

HPDSS6.png
HPDSS6.png (534.07 KiB) Viewed 37 times
62896dude

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Very nice! Seems you are making quick progress!
Jackolantern

Postby 62896dude » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Jackolantern wrote:Very nice! Seems you are making quick progress!

Thanks! I've been forcing myself to work on at least one thing each day, regardless of how big or small, and I find setting aside even just 20 or 30 minutes each day makes a huge difference (though days like today was more like a few hours spent working on it). And on that note, I also built out The Daily Prophet! It will act as sort of a blog/news hub. I also built a blog system from scratch using this tutorial: https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-an-object-oriented-blog-using-php--net-1230. The tutorial has some minor flaws, but it provides a great foundation to get started (not that blogs are incredibly difficult to build). Here's what I have so far:

HPDSS7.png
HPDSS7.png (671.36 KiB) Viewed 35 times

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but none of these designs I've posted are final, so if anyone has feedback on how to make it look better I'd be happy to hear it!
62896dude

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:22 pm

That is a very good habit to get into (doing at least something a day). Taking days off is the fastest way for your project to become abandoned. It also hurts you when you come back to it. Something you wrote just a couple of weeks ago can look quite foreign if you haven't looked at it or worked on it at all since.

Also, your backgrounds are looking very good. I would assume some more data is going to need to be displayed eventually and you will have to add some more UI elements, such as along the top. Plus, once the game is largely done I would assume you will be swapping out your buttons for something a bit more styled or possibly graphic buttons?
Jackolantern

Postby Kesstryl » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the game, the art looks great! Some of the scenes look like composite photos, is that how you are building the scenery? I like the color schemes very much.

I've been doing the same with my own project, making myself do something everyday, since I restarted mine. It really does help. Often I find that once I get going, I often end up working on it longer than I anticipated. Keep going because you are showing some good stuff here!
Kesstryl

Postby 62896dude » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Jackolantern wrote:Plus, once the game is largely done I would assume you will be swapping out your buttons for something a bit more styled or possibly graphic buttons?

Yep! Right now the buttons are more of a dev-convenience type thing, but I'll eventually stylize them (I'll most likely try to avoid graphic buttons as CSS loads faster).

Kesstryl wrote:I'm definitely looking forward to trying the game, the art looks great! Some of the scenes look like composite photos, is that how you are building the scenery? I like the color schemes very much.

I've been doing the same with my own project, making myself do something everyday, since I restarted mine. It really does help. Often I find that once I get going, I often end up working on it longer than I anticipated. Keep going because you are showing some good stuff here!

Thanks a lot! And yeah, once I actually sit down to work it comes pretty easily (sitting down is really the only hard part :P ). I'd love to see how yours is progressing whenever you have updates to share!
62896dude

PreviousNext

Return to Project Showoff Tier I