Looking to put together a game contest

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Looking to put together a game contest

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I think it is time for a game contest. It has been a while and the other ones never really got off the ground. I have already bought some prizes but would like more so was just wondering if anyone wanted to donate any. Might be a good way to advertise your product or game(give game credits or something). I was also going to try to reach out to a few small companies and see if they want to donate. You are more than welcome to as well.

I think this will be a much needed motivation to get some of us on the path to a game again.

I am thinking anything web based. Any genre and using any engine, tool, library, ect.. I think with the current engines we are using
Judging categories I am thinking
10 points - Story - something defining your game
10 points - Theme - time and setting and how well you keep to that throughout the game
20 points - Fun Factor - How fun is the game
20 points - Playability - How easy is it to figure out?
40 points - Community - how well you update throughout the contest or at least pump up people for your game..blog/screens/or just simple posts

40 points on community so that during the contest it drives the creators to update and continue on with as much features and updates as they can. Thoughts?

Looking for comments suggestions on all this. Length of time to build? Ect..
Callan S.

Re: Looking to put together a game contest

Post by Callan S. »

Good idea on the points. Though IMO you don't want to scale by accident. Ie, if a guy gives 15 updates and would get 40 points, but then someone else updates 50 times...if the first guy ends up getting less points because someone else likes posting a lot, that doesn't seem fair. Ie, scaling that happens by accident because we tend to measure everyone else by the person who did the most. Might be good to have a certain number of points possible per update, with a maximum number of points from updates.

Also how do the points work out? Is it random - each point is like a single raffle ticket, so the more of them you have, the more likely you win? Or does the guy with the most points win? Or will it be both - like a second prize could work by the raffle ticket system, so that anyone who tried has a chance (which encourages people to keep trying rather than think "X has done so much more than me, I may as well give up as I have no hope")

Just my thoughts, so far :) A game contest sounds good! :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

We will have special guest judges at the end. Community is quality over quantity. The judges will troll their posts here as well as their website and such.

The judges will score each area out of that many points.
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Will this be only for finished games, and how long do we have to get ready?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

No, this would be any game unfinished when the contest starts and doesn't matter if it is finished in the end.

Not sure on a time frame yet. Couple weeks or a month?

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”