Torrent Discussion

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
Xaleph

Re: Torrent Discussion

Post by Xaleph »

I don`t. Most if not all money you pay for music isn`t going to the actual artists. It`s all going straight to producers, business executives et cetera. An artist barely sees any ( if all ) money for their effort in creating music ( or something else ). As with movies, as actor gets paid a fixed price for playing in a movie, an artist gets paid for delivering a CD. Sure, there might be commissions on top of the sales, varying from 1 to 5% but that`s nothing.

And honestly, i don`t mind paying for good content and sure, from time to time I buy music on iTunes, for the most part however, I use alternative sources. Not here to advocate illegal sharing and stuff but just saying that paying for content is not paying for artists. It`s paying for the producer`s new Ferarri or Porsche.

And one more thing, creative people will allways be creative. Look at us, we ( try to ) create games, most of us don`t even do it for the money. We are all here to learn, share thoughts, experiment with code, ideas. Sure, if you can publish your game, that would be great especially if you can make a solid living out of it, but regardless of that, we still make them. We`re not doing it for the money, we do it because we want to. Musicians are the same. They want to make music, they like it if people listen to their songs just as we like it if people play our games!

Big companies try to steal creativity, copyrighting authentic material like ideas/music/audio/video/concepts. Copyright is a killer of creativity. That`s one of the biggest reasons I don`t want to buy content. The only reason I spent money on iTunes is to make me feel good for actually paying for content once in a while.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Have to agree with Xaleph (you hippy). I'm one of those people who never buys music or films, unless it's a gift for sometone. I also never really buy any computer software. One of my opinions on why PhotoShop has gotten so popular is because "some how" there's always a pre release version going around torrent communities before a real release. If it wern't for torrents or other methods of sharing things for free, the stuff would never get popular and there probably wouldn't be half the tutorials and resources for PhotoShop that there are today.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Record labels don`t need to know. They all push their own favorites down our frikking throats. It`s not like we actually have a say in who`s popular. If people still believe that, then i`m sorry, but humanity is on a collision course with extinction. And sure, artists get some fees from the music they produced but it`s NOTHING compared to what you might expect. It differs, like I said, from 1 to 5%. If I was an artist, why would I settle for 1% of the money if I created it? If it was MY music, why should I only get 1%?

Even if you think you are supporting them, you only support them with 0.001 cents for each iTunes song you buy for .80$. 65% goes straight to Apple, the remainder of 35% goes to the producer. Now, if that producer is fair and pays the recordlabel 20%, that label will get 6 cents, now that label has to go and pay the actual artist at 1%. So 0.01 ( actually 0.006 )

Ok, ok, I know it`s an over-exaggeration, but you get the point right? And somehow, I never hear the artists complain about their music being "stolen" ( totally non-issue). It`s always the producers, the recordlabels and the executives that are complaining. HA copyright? it`s a scam! SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, all one big lie.

Anyway, i`m going offtopic here, i just get angry just thinking about this. It`s an unfair world. An upside, inside out world.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

The only thing I want to say, is Weird Al wrote a song titled "Don't Download This Song" in which he talks about piracy, and in fact you can legally download this song...

So I think Xaleph is right when he says:
Xaleph wrote: And somehow, I never hear the artists complain about their music being "stolen" ( totally non-issue). It`s always the producers, the record labels and the executives that are complaining.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

SpiritWebb wrote:So I think Xaleph is right when he says:
Xaleph wrote: And somehow, I never hear the artists complain about their music being "stolen" ( totally non-issue). It`s always the producers, the record labels and the executives that are complaining.
Metallica, Dr. Dre, Elton John and many others would disagree ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Chevelle actually stated in an interview that pirating music has been the best thing for the music industry. It has "tore down" the big labels powers and money and brought them to a size where more artists can make it. Bands can produce themselves now.

I torrented the new Chevelle album then went and bought it after I loved it so much.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

edit: was addressed to Jack`s post.

Any prove for that? Besides, I dare say all of those artists as mentioned above earn more money a month then the sum of all the members of this community earn on a yearly basis.

In fact, if they really did complain, I`m shocked and will never, ever buy anything from them ever again ( I`m an Elton John fan.. :D ) never. Seriously. Complaining while earning 1kk+ a year.. I mean, sure if you`re good, it`s normal and honestly I don`t mind they earn huge sums of money, they`re good. But actually complaining that we shouldn`t download their songs? Wow.

edit 2:

Yes! Exactly. That`s how it helps. If you buy an album directly from their website, you know the artist will get the money he/she deserves. That`s how I bought some CD`s from a Dutch orchestra. I watched them on Youtube, making some playlists, litening to it and hey.. I wanted something for in the car as well so I bought it. Directly from their website. If you do plan on spending money.. Do it like that :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Xaleph wrote:edit: was addressed to Jack`s post.

Any prove for that? Besides, I dare say all of those artists as mentioned above earn more money a month then the sum of all the members of this community earn on a yearly basis.

In fact, if they really did complain, I`m shocked and will never, ever buy anything from them ever again ( I`m an Elton John fan.. :D ) never. Seriously. Complaining while earning 1kk+ a year.. I mean, sure if you`re good, it`s normal and honestly I don`t mind they earn huge sums of money, they`re good. But actually complaining that we shouldn`t download their songs? Wow.

edit 2:

Yes! Exactly. That`s how it helps. If you buy an album directly from their website, you know the artist will get the money he/she deserves. That`s how I bought some CD`s from a Dutch orchestra. I watched them on Youtube, making some playlists, litening to it and hey.. I wanted something for in the car as well so I bought it. Directly from their website. If you do plan on spending money.. Do it like that :)

Wait...you don't know about Metallica's stance on pirated music :shock: :shock: ? They (the band themselves, not the label) directly sued several of their fans for downloading their albums on Napster! Just Google "Dr. Dre music piracy". Tons of links come up regarding his actions against Napster and directly against its users, several interviews were he continues to demonize music piracy years after Napster was gone, etc. And here is a nice piece in the Guardian from just a few yars ago talking about Elton John's support of measures to cut off the internet connections of people who persistently share music files, which sounds more like China's internet policy IMHO.

There are many, many artists who are against piracy. Honestly, I don't really care a whole lot either way, but I just wanted to illustrate that it most definitely is not just the labels, producers, agents, etc. I think a lot more musicians would vocalize it if it wasn't such a hot-button topic with their fans.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

And not trying to be a spoil-sport, but we have basically broken the terms set forth in the first post that is the reason for this thread's existence. This can also be a divisive topic, just like politics and religion, which are both banned topics to keep the public peace. It is one of the reasons why we have such a chilled atmosphere here, with few fights ;)

Not saying this needs to be locked or anything, but please remember to keep it to yourself if you do download pirated material, and remember (myself included) that the chances of changing someone's mind in an online discussion on hot-button topics is slim-to-nil. I think it may have happened once back in 1997, and the W3C made corrections to the internet to ensure it would never happen again.
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

I`m simply saying i`m against copyright owners because of the facts I stated in previous posts. Im totally for promoting artists, buying explicitly from their own resources, cutting out the middle man. Another thing, the FAC is not against downloading copyrighted materials, rather, they are against the filesharers who upload the content. Not the youtube kids who upload some movie clips, but the teams who systematically upload any content they can find. And in fact, i too am against them. But dont forget that backing up your own bought CD is already considered illegal.

I`m dissapointed in Metallica, but I see it was 2000, which is 12 years ago. I`ll sure they`ve adjusted their views by now. If not, I don`t care. I don`t like Metallica anyway hahaha.

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”