2D or 3D? You judge

Need help with an engine or coding not on the list? Need help with a game or the website and forums here? Direct all questions here.

Do you like better the 2D or the 3D?

Total votes: 0

a_bertrand

2D or 3D? You judge

Post by a_bertrand »

Hi guys,

The conversion to 3D of my game is not all that far from being done. Yet I must admit that I'm not 100% sure it will be better to have a 3D game instead of a 2D isometric one.

Why?
- Art wise of course the 3D will never be an AAA game (nor in 2D but it's less important maybe).
- In 3D you may loose yourself a lot more easily
- In 3D it's harder to edit the map (but that can be improved over time via some tricks)
- The Web GL lib I'm using may not allow all what could be cool to have and therefore will somewhat limit myself in some areas.

As my current testers are also somewhat split between the two I would like you guys (if you have the time) to test both and tell me which one you like better:

The normal game can be played here:
http://www.cubicverse.com
The 3D one (you can't really fully play it):
http://3d.cubicverse.com

You may need to register on both as they don't share the same DB. On the 3D, the handling is done like that:
WASD to move and rotate, right mouse button drag to move the camera, left mouse button or E key to do some action.

For those lazy and don't want to try but just want to see the difference:
The 2D version
2d.jpg
The 3D version
3d.jpg
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Xaos

Re: 2D or 3D? You judge

Post by Xaos »

I'm thinking you should go 3D. I'd put the appearance at an equal scale for both, but so much of the criticism you received (it being runescape, it being minecraft, etc.) would be fixed by going 3D, as people wouldn't immediately see it and think those two games.
Mardonis

Post by Mardonis »

- In 3D you may loose yourself a lot more easily

I thought that is what you want your players to do as in immerse yourself in the game to where they are feeling like they are actually in there. When the first resident evil came out I remember getting so drawn in it that when I had opened this certain door and they would cut to a movie type scene and there was a zombie bent over eating a person then it jumped out at me it had caught me off guard almost had a heart attack. I like to play the games where I can feel like am that character and have to find my way out. The fog of war makes it good in a 2D for me because there still that element of suprise and unknowing. In 3D its not knowing whats around the corner or behind the door or whats waiting at the bottom of the sinkhole that just opened up. Just my opinion.

That is unless your talking about a different loosing yourself.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Mardonis wrote:- In 3D you may loose yourself a lot more easily

I thought that is what you want your players to do as in immerse yourself in the game to where they are feeling like they are actually in there. When the first resident evil came out I remember getting so drawn in it that when I had opened this certain door and they would cut to a movie type scene and there was a zombie bent over eating a person then it jumped out at me it had caught me off guard almost had a heart attack. I like to play the games where I can feel like am that character and have to find my way out. The fog of war makes it good in a 2D for me because there still that element of suprise and unknowing. In 3D its not knowing whats around the corner or behind the door or whats waiting at the bottom of the sinkhole that just opened up. Just my opinion.

That is unless your talking about a different loosing yourself.

I think he means like, literally lose yourself in the game. Like, not knowing where you are, having a bad camera angle, etc.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Yes exactly, so you don't find exactly where you are. Could be a pro as well as a cons.
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

Hm, I found that the 2D was great as it was.
However, the 3D looks also great, but I wouldn't want to see the 2D possibility go.

as the selection 'both would work', Would it be possible to mix them for both 2d and 3d gameplay experience?
Keep navigation on 2D and all interactions on 3D, perhaps battle in 3D might be more 'awesome' and all the quest talks.

Just a thought, I liked the 2d, but I also like the 3d. But I would guess that 3D attracts more players.
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Have you played Space Hulk on steam? It is top down with a 3d view window.

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I was wondering if I could not do it always in 3D with a key to switch from top down (move camera) or first person.
Script47

Post by Script47 »

a_bertrand wrote:I was wondering if I could not do it always in 3D with a key to switch from top down (move camera) or first person.
I think FPS would be better. But if you did choose top down, would the player be able to look only by his character or move around the map without having his character around?
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Have you played Space Hulk on steam? It is top down with a 3d view window.

Heh, that's pretty cool. I haven't seen that before.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".

Return to “Advanced Help and Support”