Game map(3D)

Need help with an engine or coding not on the list? Need help with a game or the website and forums here? Direct all questions here.
fleaky

Game map(3D)

Post by fleaky »

Hello i am making a game map in 3d and the basics are done just need to figure out the grass lake/river/waterfall etc

but what im thinking is how would i add a 3d landscape terrif map to the php game map? possible if so does anyone know how??

here is my map so far:
full sized image here:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7466 ... d3dmap.jpg

this is really confusing me and i really do want a 3d game area and 3d charaters which i can make in alot of time.. but how can i add it to the game??? p.s. if ya find away ill give you the download of my file once done :D

this isn't bribing nooo lol :D but hey you might want it, so you know all good :D
Jackolantern

Re: Game map(3D)

Post by Jackolantern »

To my knowledge there is no way to do a full, animated 3D game in PHP. Maybe I am missing something, but PHP is a server-side scripting language, meaning that the client has to query the data from the server. Anything 3D must be rendered from the client-side, using something like Flash, Silverlight, AJAX, etc. I definitely don't pretend to be a PHP master, but unless there is some dark corner of PHP I am not familiar with, I don't think you can add in your 3D maps and make an animated 3D game with PHP alone. You could, however, tie the PHP game logic engine together with a client-side rendering platform, such as one of those mentioned above. Or you could just go the "prerendered" route, and make images of your 3D maps and characters and have those images loaded by the PHP game engine. However, I don't think that is what you are going for, and the end-result would look more like Myst than a current 3D game.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
fleaky

Post by fleaky »

oo thank you, then i have no choose but to tie AJAX with php this will be hard :/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Halls and I have discussed AJAX in games in a couple of different locations on the forums now. Unfortunately, as of right now there is not a lot of game code available to leverage in AJAX. You would basically have to write everything from scratch. That would be quite difficult if you are not well-versed in programming, and would probably require you to do a year or two of learning and practice before you could really crank out a project of this size. On the other hand, if you used Flash, there is a decent amount of game code and engines available to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, AJAX needs to have games made with it to advance its position as a game platform. But for a new programmer, that will require an immense amount of learning and practice before you could make it yourself.

EDIT: Oops, I kind of got this topic crossed in my head with the other one. You didn't actually say what your level of proficiency is in programming. Well, just consider the above a note if you are still somewhat new to AJAX and coding in general. If you are well-versed in AJAX, I am sure the community would be very interested in seeing how your project turns out :D
fleaky

Post by fleaky »

lol i wish i would be brilliant at AJAX, but im only good with java/html/php(ish) as i do not use it much,Html,css,Bits of C++

and i am and this makes me sound soo vain :| IM BRILLIANT AT MAKING ANY KIND OF GRAPHICS.

I HAVE NOW MADE THE 3D LANDSCAPE WITH GRASS AND AM MAKING BUILDINGS TO GO WITH IT ALSO.
edit/ soz for caps.

i will make 3d sprites.

everything i make, i will upload i can help make a game with java for everyone as im good with java and i could help out with the 3d graphics?? if everyone wants to make a 3d game on spare time of course when there is nothing else to do???

and ill try my best tar dude.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If you know Javascript, you are not that far off from AJAX. AJAX is not a separate language, but rather, just a set of objects and techniques used within Javascript to send data (which regular, old Javascript could not do alone). Just check out some tutorials online.

Return to “Advanced Help and Support”