Character design

Need help with an engine or coding not on the list? Need help with a game or the website and forums here? Direct all questions here.
Connor

Character design

Post by Connor »

How would i go about creating a "character design" script?
For example, you chose a male or female body with the default clothing, and then as you progress in the game you will be able to changs their eyes, hair, coat, t-shirt etc

Is something like this hard to do?

Thanks!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Character design

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I am assuming web browser. You could do it with javascript and Divs or HTML5. Basically just have a image location on each area and change the image via script based on what is stored in the db.
Oroton

Post by Oroton »

If you search the web there was a website addon called Living Avatars which was a standalone dynamic avatar system.

it was an amazing way to add images to make an avatar and was fairly lightweight

similar to the nulavatar days of phpbb.. I believe this project is dead, but it was written in codeignitor.
https://github.com/tylerdiaz/Crysandrea
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

If the images are static (as in, no animation) there are several libraries out there that handle stuff like this. I don't know of any off the top of my head but they are often called "paper doll" or "human avatar" systems. If the characters are animated, it gets a bit more complicated then and no off-the-shelf library is going to meet that need. At that point it becomes more about trying to find a way to prevent having to animate all of the pieces of clothing, hair, etc. That is why in most 16-bit era RPGs, character's hair and shirt don't move when they walk so they just need the 3 directions of the hat and shirt art assets (you only need one left or right of course, since they can be reversed) and position them over the base avatar sprite.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Advanced Help and Support”