RPG: Isometric vs. non-Isometric

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
OldRod

RPG: Isometric vs. non-Isometric

Post by OldRod »

I've been working on an RPG in Unity off and on for several months now (mostly off :(), but anyway, I've been playing some recent RPGs to get inspiration on how various game systems are handled, etc. What I'm finding is that all the popular RPGs that I'm playing all have an isometric fixed position camera.

Is that the standard now? I don't really care for it, and I've been building my game with a free camera (MMO-like) that you can rotate around, zoom in/out, etc.

Is that something that people just expect in an RPG nowadays? Are there any recent good RPGs that don't have the isometric fixed position camera?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: RPG: Isometric vs. non-Isometric

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I think it is default due to engines like unity all having easy support more than not. I would not base your decision on what current games are doing. I too like the free camera. Wurm has the free camera but it is not recent either.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think it depends on what type of RPGs you are looking at. There are strong heritages of both camera types. First-person camera views come from the lineage of Elder Scrolls, Ultima IX and other open-world style RPGs. Isometric really comes from the very, very early days going back to the early Final Fantasy games, on up to games such as Icewind Dale and others. So if an RPG has a first-person, free-roaming camera, they may be more likely to be open-world games, while isometric may lean a bit more towards the more story-driven, linear style of RPGs.

Of course, that isn't true for all games. Fallout 2 was an isometric open-world game. I know there are linear, first-person RPGs but I can't think of any off the top of my head. But I do know there are a lot of them.

But like Halls said, don't do something you wouldn't want to do just because it feels popular. RPGs often take years to make so the style could be 180 degrees by the time you are done.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Jackolantern wrote:RPGs often take years to make
LOL, don't I know it :)

Plus, I have a tendency to never finish anything anyway... so guess I'll make it how I want :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I am nearly cured of my Halls Disease. Simple Engine will be my final dose of medicine.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I am nearly cured of my Halls Disease. Simple Engine will be my final dose of medicine.
I know the feeling. I have been suffering from Halls' disease for well over a decade now, but probably even worse than you as you do have a number of projects out there. I am about to start a project, hopefully this weekend that will be the one I am really planning to stick with. I am getting older and need to get something done and out there instead of continuously thinking up "Oh, wouldn't that be cool?" ideas. I am putting something out, even if it is total garbage.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Game Design”