Great article on RPGs

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Great article on RPGs

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Found this great article as I was working on my MUD engine.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/GuidoHen ... ormula.php
Jackolantern

Re: Great article on RPGs

Post by Jackolantern »

Very interesting stuff!

My only real concern is that a lot of what he is pointing at is very difficult to produce. He points to Skyrim as being a shining example in at least some ways, but Skyrim was a gigantic production that is well outside the means of most other studios, let alone an indie team, to emulate. For example, he says that the world should socially acknowledge the player's achievements. That along could take weeks if not months of development time.

I do tend to agree with most of it though. Mainstream MMOs have been watered-down and streamlined to make them more appealing to the masses. Many of the CRPGs of the 80's and early 90's would be completely unpalatable for a lot of gamers or would at least force them to run screaming for gameFAQs.com :lol:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Great article on RPGs

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Agreed. I think a 2d text/semi graphical Skyrim could do wonders to turn the RPG world around but it is a huge feat. The 2d aspect would allow the developer more time to concentrate on features that would be a closer simulation to RPG and the size of the world could dramatically change. It is definitely something I am considering for the engine I am working on.

Return to “Game Design”