Pathfinder PBBG

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Pathfinder PBBG

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So really been thinking of making a Pathfinder PBBG using all the open source material at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
With several hundred thousand fans and players and not a single PBBG based on it it might be a good project.
Jackolantern

Re: Pathfinder PBBG

Post by Jackolantern »

You will probably want to really dig into the Open Game License (OGL) to see if that is permitted. It seems that the license was originally created really just to allow people to create content for tabletop RPGs that use OGL without fear of being sued. I don't know if it extends to being able to create video games based on it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah a few have warned me of that so I am digging even deeper. Thanks!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Maybe contact them? If the game is non-commercial, they may even give you the rights to do it. One thing I do wonder about is that I think their rule system actually has some of D&D in it. Their license may depend on the fact that D&D is licensed through OGL (which I believe Wizards of the Coast even created). Maybe there are some legal storms surrounding licensing Pathfinder which could be why there are no games based on it. However, I would still think it is worth contacting them over it.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I was told they are in production of a Pathfinder MMORPG. Man I hope not.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That sucks :P Sorry to hear that. It would probably be more fun to make your own world anyway!

Return to “Game Design”