2D Skyrim

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

2D Skyrim

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Was brainstorming and was thinking why no 2d version of a Skyrim type game? Inventory anything, design your own house, large living breathing world, great storyline, like a truly epic 2d version of Oblivion or Skyrim.
a_bertrand

Re: 2D Skyrim

Post by a_bertrand »

That's always what I'm aiming for... but I can't say I succeed ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I played skyrim once, for about 10 minutes. Didn't enjoy the game but I understand how good it is. So my answer would be "Yes". 2D Skyrim sounds much more doable for a small team and it can be as good as the 3D one easily.

Go for it Halls!
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think that even as a 2D game, the content creation would simply crush a small team. To really, truly create a living, breathing world like in Elder Scrolls, you need a staggering amount of content with a staggering amount of mechanics or it all starts to feel like a grind. Maybe a very well-managed, talented, medium-sized indie team could make it happen. But I would have to assume plenty of teams would have tried already and must have failed. Something like this would be huge on mobile devices so I just can't believe no one has tried.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yup I was going for more of a commercial project, why has no commercial team not built it? Heck why hasn't Bethesda not done it?
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:I think that even as a 2D game, the content creation would simply crush a small team. To really, truly create a living, breathing world like in Elder Scrolls, you need a staggering amount of content with a staggering amount of mechanics or it all starts to feel like a grind. Maybe a very well-managed, talented, medium-sized indie team could make it happen. But I would have to assume plenty of teams would have tried already and must have failed. Something like this would be huge on mobile devices so I just can't believe no one has tried.
Well said, make it all procedural, call it No Mans Skyrim and sell it for 59.99$ :D
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

I'm a long time Elder Scrolls fan because of the depth of their RPGs, heck my current MMO is ESO Online! I would love to see more games based on the concepts behind their version of RPGs.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

In a lot of ways UO was a lot like a 2D Skyrim before Skyrim existed. You could go anywhere at any time, it was all skill-based, you could settle down in a city and just become the town's carpenter or travel the world to kill dragons.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah I definitely see that.

Return to “Game Design”