MMO TIPS how to design single player & multiplayer gameplay?

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.

Re: MMO TIPS how to design single player & multiplayer gamep

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am

The sad thing is, it was really widespread, at least during the time I played (from vanilla to early Lich King). There was usually at least one in every pick-up group.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Verahta » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm

I still haven't played WOW lol. The only "MMO"'s I have played have been Americas Army (though that is really just a online FPS now that I think of it) and EVE. All the others were text based PBBG types. Well, I have played Star Wars Galaxies EMU a bit. I have actually spent a good deal of will power over the years on completely avoiding the big popular MMO's specifically because I do not want to get sucked into them and spend lots of time on it haha. Ever since the origial Everquest stole friends away from me, I have been a MMO rebel! 8-)
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Verahta

Postby Cayle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:58 am

Jackolantern wrote:The sad thing is, it was really widespread, at least during the time I played (from vanilla to early Lich King). There was usually at least one in every pick-up group.

There is a reason for this. By exposing all of the numbers to the player, you are giving players direct KPIs. A certain subset of the potential playerbase will take this and make it the game. If you want immersion oriented play, then you hide the numbers and you'll see your game exhibit an entirely different flavor. I recall quite a sophisticated discussion of this in Bartle's book (does anyone read Bartle anymore?).

I think there is room in the market for "numberless".
Cayle

Postby Verahta » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Very interesting post, thank you.
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".
Verahta

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Cayle wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:The sad thing is, it was really widespread, at least during the time I played (from vanilla to early Lich King). There was usually at least one in every pick-up group.

There is a reason for this. By exposing all of the numbers to the player, you are giving players direct KPIs. A certain subset of the potential playerbase will take this and make it the game. If you want immersion oriented play, then you hide the numbers and you'll see your game exhibit an entirely different flavor. I recall quite a sophisticated discussion of this in Bartle's book (does anyone read Bartle anymore?).

I think there is room in the market for "numberless".

Yep, I read Bartle's book :) I don't remember that specific part, as I haven't read it since it was published in the early 2000's, but it sounds like something from him. And I totally agree with him on it. Most MMOs today do expose the numbers since they are following WoW's design, and there is a fairly large portion of players who make the number pushing the game and goal itself. FFXI on the other hand, which kept almost everything hidden except for very cryptic stats that you couldn't directly relate to character performance, had a much different feel. FFXI had stats on gear like "Treasure Hunter +1" or "Piety +1", with no description of how they altered your character. Everyone just knew they wanted them because those bonuses were so rare lol.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Previous

Return to Game Design